Tank doesn't seem to have started it's cycle

Might as well get used to the algae for a while.You'll have several bloom of that crap as your system matures.

Definitely wait til ammonia and nitrite is at zero.The algae could be using up the trates so thats a good thing.After my tank cycled,I added a cleanup crew,within a week they had pretty much cleaned up eveything(rocks,sand,glass).In fear of my cleanup crew starving to death,I'm adding seaweed sheets every few days.

Its ugly, I know but it will get better.BTW,I said it already but great rocks,looks kinda like my Uaniva.

Post a pic of your Uavani if you get a chance, i'd like to see it. I've thought about doing some research and writing a little article on the different types of live rock that are out there just cause i've never really seen many sites that gives info on a more than just 5 or 6 types, it would give some of us newbs a chance to get our setup right the first time instead of just going out and buying the first and cheapest rock we see.

Your rocks have good color already,In couple of months,I'm betting that the colors will really pop.I have tons of pics already in my photo gallery starting back from day one.You can see how the colors really spread,popped in the short time my tank been up.The Uaniva is mostly every rock that doesn't look like a branch in my tank.(theres a few ugly Fiji rock but I almost have all of them covered up)

alright i'll check out your gallery. my rocks have alot of green looking like coralline algae. Im doseing about every 3 to 4 days with liquid calcium to give that coraline a boost and i think it's helping, im noticing some purple growth that looks like it.

If you don't already,get a calcium,akalinity,phosphate test kits.Its not necessary at this early stage but something to keep in mind in the future.Be careful dosing calcium its easy to overshoot causing PH,akalinity issues.,380-450 is good.I wouldn't dose anything unless you can test it first.

I have a Alkalinity test kit and plan on getting a Calcium and Phos. kit very soon. Right now im only giving it about a 1/4 dose every 3 to 4 days where it says to dose every day. so far my Alkalinity has stayed around 300ppm and PH has stayed around 8.4

when i first set up my very first reef tank, i used LR and LS and never experienced a cycle in my tank. i don't have any explanations but i think it was because i did something experimental. after 2 days of my set up, i started adding calcium and alk supplements and after a week i started adding iron and vitamin c. after 3 week from set up date i started adding fish and corals. the very first fish i added was a yellow tang and a damsel. took the damsel back to the LFS and untill today i still have the yellow tang which grows to already 2x its size when i got him. and my very first coral was a zoa which i also have it and grows to 4x its original size.
and oh, i already did an upgrade after 2 month of the first setup and the upgrade took me 3.5 hours to do without any casualty. no cyling either.
now i don't mean that you follow this because i don't want to be held responsible. this is just to give you an idea that there is a very slim chance that you will not see a cylce when you set up a tank.

My first saltwater tank we bought was used and it had live rock and a little live sand, but we added somemore dead sand, and we also never noticed a cycle. I would guess it's because with the LR and LS you already have the bacteria seeded that breaks down those ammonia and nitrites fast enough that you never really see them rise

Back