tank drilling

bwaller76

Love my tanks!
ok so I need some thoughts on drilling my tank. I have decided that drilling is the best option but I look around for examples of where on my tank to drill and I see some tanks having two holes and some three and I have no idea which is which and why three vs two etc. Can anyone perhaps show me some informative pictures and/or explanations of what exactly each hole and tube is for. I am getting a 150 gallon 48"x24" and 30" deep. I also see valves in the mix and while I think I understand what their purpose is, if anyone could confirm with me why those are there and why they are important.

Thank you

:bowdown::bounce:

well my question is...what position on the tank should the holes be drilled? Like measurements. I also saw a sweet idea for a closed loop system that I a considering potentially down the road. Anyhow if you have any diagrams or anything showing the position of the drills or if you can draw up one on paint or something I would appreciate that.

You should figure out what you want to do for an overflow. Assuming you don't have a predrilled tank the type of overflow you use will aid you in determining the best place for your holes. If your planning drilling holes for your return you want them placed as high in the tank as possible. I have the same tank as you and I drilled my return holes a little too low.

Click my signature below and check out my build thread. I asked a lot of the same questions you are asking and I also posted a lot of pics of my design. I would not suggest following my design exactly but it should give you some ideas. I quite happy with my set-up but I would have done a few things differently if I were to start from scratch again today.

Back