Tank finished cycling already? 0 Nitrates...

badmeowth

Reefing newb
Hi, I just started filling up my 65 gallon tank with saltwater on 3/12 (with sand, and base rock already added). I didn't add live rock into the system until around 3/15. Here are my water tests, with the first one taken on 3/24:

3/24: Ammonia- .50, Nitrites- .50, Nitrates- 0
3/28: Ammonia- 0, Nitrites- .25, Nitrates- 0
4/2: Ammonia- 0, Nitrites- 0, Nitrates- 0
4/6: Ammonia- 0, Nitrites- 0 , Nitrates- 0

Temperature: 76F, Salinity 1.022

Is it possible to have a fully cycled tank with 0 nitrates? Or is there something that I'm missing here...

no. well maybe, If you have lots of air bubbles in you tank nitrates catch on to the bubble and turns in to nitrogen gas and then will float to the top of the tank in the air bubble and adventully leave the tank.

But i don think this will lower nitrates thats much so they are at 0
are you doing water changes when ur cyleing

you could be, but just to be sure i would take a sample to the LFS to check, you can never go wrong with taking it to them for a test. i would aslo do a decent water change and then retest the water. also you might wanna rise the temp a little bit. in between 77-79 degrees is where most people on here keep there tanks at during the day. you might also want to raise you salinity just a bit to 1.023-1.025 is a good range. and has your base rock seeded yet?

also what kind of test kits are you useing.(is it reliable)test ur water before you mix it. it could be ur salt

Kyle nitrates don't attach to air bubbles.Nitogen gas is a by-product of anaerobic bacteria consuming nitrate which occurs in the deepest part of a sand bed and deep inside live rock where oxygen is deprive.

It looks like you use cured live rock since the ammonia didn't rise very high.It is very possible to have a short cycle(like yours) or instant cycle when using lots of cured rock(and live sand too).Drop a little fish food into the tank and check ammonia and nitrite the next day.If they are still at zero than the cycle is complete.

Ive set up tanks at the LFS using live sand and cured rock,fully stocked the tank the same day,and not had a cycle.
Just do like Reef suggested and see what happens.If you have no ammonia after a day or 2.The consider the tank cycled and ready for a fish or 2.

one small water change. all salt should be dissolved long time ago, water has lots of circulation. i might bring to LFS to recheck

Back