tank help

cfortin

Reefing newb
So here is the deal, I posted something about a week ago and never heard back. I need opinions on a couple of things. I have a bluue starfish that never moves around the tank, and I dont know if he is getting the right food, or reason why he lost an arm. Also I have two tomato clowns with two bubble anemones, One anemone hasnt been doing well for a couple of weeks. The clowns favored to the other anemone and this one just died. My question is do I need to get another anemone or let both clowns house one together. PLEASE HELP!
Thanks Chad

I am sorry you did not get a response to your last post. I will try and answer your questions here, hopefully something will help.

*Linckia Laevigata - Blue Linckia - I assume this is what we are talking about. 100 gal. tanks or larger, Good illumination will support algal growth on live rock providing grazing opportunities, Natural and neccessary diet unknown, Appears to eat and may accept meaty foods, but seldom survives more than 18 months. Appears to die of malnutrition, Able to live at least a year in a reef aquarium if properly acclimated and provided with sufficient food. One of the few sea stars that may persist in reef aquariums. It reproduces asexually when one arm or ray pulls itself away from the central disc and walks away, the disc heals and grows a new ray, while the ray grows a new body and arms. Acclimate very slowly to new water, over a period of several hours or more. May be attacked by hermit crabs and several species of parasitic snails that need to be removed with forceps.
Good luck hope something here helps.

You can let both clowns house one anemone.
Here is a link I hope will help you if you have not read it yet.
https://www.livingreefs.com/forums/saltwater-aquarium-articles/1084-anemone-primer.html

Finally, if you are sure that anemonies and clowns are what you truly enjoy, then I would recommend a good book such as:

*CLOWNFISHES - Joyce D. Wilderson - ISBN 1-890087-04-1

*Anemone fishes - Daphne G. Fautin & Gerald R. Allen - ISBN 073098365X

Hope something here helps. Anemonies need very good lighting, feed two to three times per week with the correct food and size of food. The clowns may just help you to do this. The tomatoes are my favorites. If they are not fighting then you will truly enjoy them. Keep us posted.

Congratulations on your blue linkia that is their way of reproduction cool huh? as for the clowns I would leave it be and let them host the one anemonie. hope this helps.

Back