Tank lid?

tacyarts

Reefing newb
My glass on top of my aquarium is always foggy, I can clean it and 1 day later it looks aweful. This has to lower the potency of my halide light hangin over the tank. Is it stupid to take my top glass cover off. The aquarium is built into an rarely used storage room. I worry about contaminants as well as fish jumping out.

Last edited:
Glass lids are not good for saltwater aquariums. They inhibit gas flow and block light. If you are afraid of jumpers, you can look at the mesh lids people have made in the DIY forum -- that's a much better option than glass. I don't recommend people use glass lids at all.

Looks like Sarah has you covered

You can find materials, and a video on how to make a screen top for your tank at Bulk Reef Supply's website

thanks for the input guys, just after i posted this I saw that screen video. I was also afraid of airborn contaniments, should i just not worry about that as long as i am careful spraying stuff around. Again thanks for replys, this was my 1ST post and you all answered promply.

You don't have to worry too much about contaminants. Most of us don't use cleaning chemicals or air fresheners around our tanks for that reason; just to be cautious.

Back