Tank Life Span

SeaBee

Ha Ha Thats Funny!
I just read a thread and the guy was upgrading his tank because the seams were getting thin. What the heck does that mean? My tank is like 6-8 yrs old, what is the lifespan on these things? I thought they lasted for a long time? What you guys think?

I think he might be talking about the bead of silicone that forms when it is smoothed out. The actual seal is made between the glass.

I had a fresh water tank(55gal) for close to 15 years never had a problem. Just couldnt fit it in my new pplace so I had to give it up.

whew!!! that's what I thought. I never touch the silicone, but I thought it like wore out or something. But that can't be true because tanks would be bursting all over the place. I still check my frames all the time. My tank is a perfecto 55, stardard issue...nothing special.

How can you tell when the silicone isn't any good anymore? LIke when it's time to reseal the tank? Say you have a tank of unknown age but it holds water with no leaks. What are the signs of bad silicone?

My old tank was a 65 tall, so nice, but bad design. The frame in the middles cracked one day, I noticed because the front started to bow, and I was like "what the ___" Then I took the light off and I had like a 1/2" gap going on. I called the fish store and the guy started to laugh. He told me to drain it half way, and hurry before the front blows right off. Needless to say I got a new one the next day.....

Man that would suck. Glad that didn't end badly. I just got a new tank today, used. And I'm wondering if I should reseal it. Can't tell if there are bubbles or not. I'm bad with this sort of stuff unless I have something to compare it to.

I just read a thread and the guy was upgrading his tank because the seams were getting thin. What the heck does that mean? My tank is like 6-8 yrs old, what is the lifespan on these things? I thought they lasted for a long time? What you guys think?

Sen how old is your tank, anyway?

Sorry Sen.
I have read that about 8 or so years is the expected 'life' for your brand of tank. :mrgreen:

Are you F-in with me???? I called the fish expert, syas he's seen tanks last 6 weeks, seen them last 30 yrs. Just keep an eye on the seams after ten years.. The good news is he can sell me a neww 55 for $110, I think that's a great price! I looked at all the silly cone I could see, all loooks good. I have a friend that is a glass guy, I will ask him to stop over and examine it someday, I owe him a coffee anyway.

The back glass on my 30H is bowing 1/4" out. The large CPR HOB refugium weighs 50lbs when it's full of water and sand. It's been hanging back there for about 2 and 1/2 yrs.

Are you F-in with me???? I called the fish expert, syas he's seen tanks last 6 weeks, seen them last 30 yrs. Just keep an eye on the seams after ten years.. The good news is he can sell me a neww 55 for $110, I think that's a great price! I looked at all the silly cone I could see, all loooks good. I have a friend that is a glass guy, I will ask him to stop over and examine it someday, I owe him a coffee anyway.

Of course! :lol:

Back