Tank not level.

clancaster23

Reefing newb
I'm going to venture a guess and say a 3/4" difference is bad to have with an unlevel tank? My new 40 is placed in a corner of my room and I guess the corner is a little higher than the rest of the room. Anyways, I have a 3/4" difference between the back right corner and the front left corner. Should I worry about leaks or should it be ok? I'm not wanting to shim it because it's on a hardwood floor and the gap that shims will make would be just ugly. If it's too much for the tank as far as pressure to that corner goes, I can move it but not immediately as I would need to move another stand I have in the room (holds my bearded dragon cage) before I can relocate the tank.

That big of a difference in water level is going to cause uneven pressure on your tank seams, I would be concerned. You could try putting a piece of pink foam between the tank and the stand which could help some but I'm not sure it would handle that extreme of a difference.

I would find a way to shim it at all costs You could cut a shim to fit your stands footprint so it won't stick out as much.

You could get a foam mat that they sell at places like walmart for standig in the kitchen. If you get a large enough one it will stick out of your tank just far enough so if water did spill when you were dealing with it that it would absorb the water and not damage the hardwood floors. Plus the bonus is that UNDER the foam mat you can put foam pieces to level it. No one sees it and it looks good

Oh wow yeah a 3/4" diff is huge. +1 everyone. Even out the tank stand as much as possible, then add the foam board under the tank to even it out more.

Back