Tank raised fish

tzevchik

Reefing newb
Hi Everyone,

Does anyone have a good comparison of buying tank raised fish vs. captured fish and sucess rates? I don't know of a good tank raised souce in my area to try (Columbus, Oh) so, if anyone knows of one?

Thanks

I don't have an article to link with, but tank raised fish tend to be hardier and better adapted to our aquarium environment. Additionally, wild caught fish are taken directly from the reef environment having an adverse impact (some little, some huge) on their ecosystem.

As a get more and more into this hobby, I can't help but think about the impact on the enviornment. When you think about all the shipping and stress the wild caught fish have to endure, tank raised has to be a better way to go. Do you have a resource?

LiveAquaria.com has a lot of tank-raised, and the fish shops in the area tend to have tank-rasied available. I would just ask your LFS if they do or can carry tank raised fish/corals. There are a lot species that can't yet be raised in aquariums, but the list is growing every day.

One of the most popular sources for aquacultured coal is ORA, they also do some fish and inverts. You can't order from them directly, but your fish store can.

+1 x19

I am huge supporter of tank raised fish, I generally go out of my way to buy them and support the people that do that stuff.

+1 everyone. Buying tank raised is always a better option than buying wild caught. For many fish, it's not an option (yet). But if you do have a choice, there's no reason to buy wild caught. Especially for fish like clowns and cardinals, which are so easy to keep and easy to breed in captivity.

Back