tank raised percula questions

Dakwan

Reefing newb
Some friends of mine raised a spawn of percula clowns and they would like to give me a pair.

Two questions i have are:
1. How big should they be before being introduced into a tank of other fish?

2. Will two from the same spawn still pair?I don't know if fish have any anti-inbreeding characteristics

As long as they are bigger than the mouth of the other fish they *should* be fine. But doesnt mean they wouldnt get bullied though. The larger the better. How big are they now? If they are 3/4 to an 1 inch long, I would say they would be fine.

As for the inbreeding, it is possible, but if you arent planning on raising the fry, I wouldnt worry about it.

Last edited:
sweet, I don't plan on raising any so i was never worried about any 3 eyed fish swimmin' around haha but just wanted make sure they would be able to form a pair. I know some mammals recognize family and won't mate and just wanted to make sure that wasn't the case with these guys

I know some mammals recognize family and won't mate and just wanted to make sure that wasn't the case with these guys

You would be surprised. What humans consider "unnatural" actually happens all the time in the animal kingdom!

Here's what you need to do. Get the two ugliest ones you see. Then they'll be like, "No way am I going to mate with that fug fish!"

Here's what you need to do. Get the two ugliest ones you see. Then they'll be like, "No way am I going to mate with that fug fish!"

If you do that, they will mate because they know they cant do any better...you need to get one hot fish and one ugly fish. That way the hot fish, knowing that she is hot, wouldnt be caught dead with the ugly fish:mrgreen:

Back