Tank readings

Piggy

Reef enthusiast
I tested my tank and here is what I got. This is a day after a water change. All fish and corals seem to be doing alright.

PH- 7.8
Alk-2.5 meq/l
Nitrites- 0
Nitrates- O
Ammonia- 0
Iodine- .05
Calcium- 300
Magnesium- 1125

I have no idea why my PH is low. I don't want to use reef builder or buffer because I can not get it to disslove. It looks like it's snowing when I use it. I added calcium to get that a little bit higher. What can I use to raise my PH? I was thinking of doing another water change to see if that helps. Any ideas?

Have you tried mixing the reef buffer in ro water then putting it in the sump? That's what I do and haven't had any problems. How do you have 0 nitrates? I just can't make that happen.

If you have coral don't worry about a buffer, just dose calcium and alkalinity as the instructions tell you to. If calcium and alkalinity are within range then the pH should balance itself. You also don't need to test for Iodine/Iodide and don't worry about magnesium unless you have a heavy SPS load. I have always seen some of the best results come from people who keep things simple. Buffers and different additives can do more harm than good, for now just focus on calcium/alkalinity, nitrate and phosphate. You probably won't be able to test phosphate so just change out a GFO every month in a Two Little Fishes reactor and it shouldn't be a problem.

Have you tried mixing the reef buffer in ro water then putting it in the sump? That's what I do and haven't had any problems. How do you have 0 nitrates? I just can't make that happen.

I have tried mixing it in Ro water. But the stuff does not dissolve. I even tried, distilled,facet,filtered,and whatever kind I could find. The crap does not dissolve. I even when out and got a different bottle thinking maybe the first was bad. Nope same results.

I just tested my PH and it's still 7.8. Will everything be alright with it that low? I'll have to order the liquid because no one has it around here.

How much rock do you have in your tank? Is it a little low?

This is the first time I had any problem with my PH since I upgraded. I have about 140-150 pound of LR. I don't plan on getting anymore because I want room for my fish to swim. Seeing I don't have any problems with algae or nitrates I don't see any reason why I should.

I'd be more worried about what the PH is dropping to at night.With it already being low,it could drop enough during the night to start causing problems.

Back