Tank revival!

DJ_Z

Reefing newb
So, if you've read the last couple of threads you would know that things have not been great in my tank. I'm using this entire weekend to upgrade equipment, add a sump, and get my hardware to the best point I can possibly afford.

My question here is hopefully my last stocking question. This is a 40 gallon breeder reef tank. I currently have two young ocellaris clowns, I assume a mated pair based on their behavior and how they are always together, and about two weeks ago I purchased a red hawkfish, Cirrhitops fasciatus, since I've seen a few different english name variations. I also have an adult coral banded shrimp. Due to their similar size, the shrimp and hawk sized each other up at first (I was actually looking to rehome the shrimp) but they are now just staying away from each other.

I see a lot of really interesting fish at my LFS, and I'm considering getting a dwarf angel or a six line wrasse. The wrasse is the safest option I think, since it would be the only animal darting in and out of the rockwork. However, I saw an absolutely beautiful flame back angel that's only about 2" long right now. Regardless, I would not add the fish until I get my equipment upgraded. But for what I have now, and attempting to be reef safe, would a reef safe wrasse be a better option than a dwarf angel, of any kind?

Dwarf angels are hit and miss. I had a coral beauty that never messed with anything. I had a flame and lemon peel that I had to get rid of because they picked at all my corals. If I remember correctly I think most dwarfs are recommended for minimum 70g but that's not to say you couldn't get away with one in your tank.
If it were me and I was planning on keeping corals I would go with the reef safe wrasse. Good luck whichever way you go!

I feel like 70g for all dwarf angels is a generalization. I realize some like Flames are very active, but some I rarely see darting around as much, like Yellows.

Wrasses are great fish, so I certainly don't feel like I'm settling for something I don't like. My only other idea would be either a trio of damsels, given the semi-aggressive setup, or a dotty back. But I see the dotty back is a greater risk, and 3 damsels of any kind feels like it would be pushing my stock level.

Dwarf angels are hit and miss. I had a coral beauty that never messed with anything. I had a flame and lemon peel that I had to get rid of because they picked at all my corals. If I remember correctly I think most dwarfs are recommended for minimum 70g but that's not to say you couldn't get away with one in your tank.
If it were me and I was planning on keeping corals I would go with the reef safe wrasse. Good luck whichever way you go!
+1 I would go with the wrass also.

A follow up:

I could just stick to three fish, I have no issue with that. But the ocellaris are so small that I may consider trading them for a larger mated pair. Tomatos, Clarkii, Maroons, etc. Are any of these species too big for a 40g breeder?

Your tank will support those. All three of the clowns you listed are probably the most aggressive of the clowns especially the maroons. I would definitely make sure whatever you put with the pair can holds its own.

Very true. But basically I'm thinking of just 3 fish total, a mated pair of clowns and the hawk. The ocellaris are very fun, but I worry that as they all grow the hawk will look at them as things to be bullied. A Blood red hawk and two tomato clowns though seem like a good fit, similar size, temperament. I do wish there were other color options to avoid so much red lol.

just think that keeping the number to 3 will be easier if I stick to mid-sized fish rather than having two clowns that max at 3".

The ongoing saga lol.

I bought a royal gramma to add as the fourth fish…hawk went after it while still in the bag, so he will be going back >.>

This falls on me, I thought I was buying a carribean hawkfish, that would stay relatively small, instead it was a blood red hawkfish, which gets about two inches longer and is apparently more aggressive. I like him, he's very active, but in a 40g tank I'm limited in what can go in. I would basically need a large enough fish that he wouldn't care. So I'm worried about getting a wrasse, but angels are bigger.

Decisions, decisions.

Lol yeah.

Well I think the best thing to do is to rehome the aggressive animals. My Coral Banded Shrimp and Blood Red Hawk are en route to my friend's house with a much bigger tank that will be better for them.

Sooooooo one more time:

40 gallon breeder PEACEFUL COMMUNITY TANK.

2x ocellaris clown - check
1x bubble tip anemone
1x watchman goby
1x pistol shrimp
1x six line wrasse
1x royal gramma…maybe, I really do like the color, but I'll wait til the sump goes in to think of a 5th small fish
2x peppermint shrimp
1x fire shrimp
1x tiger serpent sea star - check

And I'll bolster my CUC with additional astras, hermits, and nassarius

Back