Tank Rival Issues.. Please help!

Jeff&Amberlee

Reefing newb
Hi everyone... we are new to this whole saltwater thing and had a question. We have had our Yellow Tang in the tank for about 3 weeks now and she has been fine with all our other fish...but today we added an Auriga Butterfly and our Tang won't leave her alone! I know that Tangs don't get along with other Tangs that look like them sometimes... is our Tang not getting along with our Butterfly because they look similar? If anyone has any advice I would appreciate it! Thanks!:fechten2:

Sorry to say, but your tank is over crowded.
Blue tangs need about 100 gallon tank to be comfortable
Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Blue Tang

Yellow Tangs Also need around 100 gallon tank
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+43+392&pcatid=392

And the Butterfly needs around a 50 gallon tank
Auriga Butterflyfish

They are most likely stressed out and fighting for what little space is available.

My suggestion is to take those three fish back to the store.

Sorry if this seems harsh, but it is for your enjoyment of the hobby if the fish you love dont end up fighting and killing each other. That usually causes people to leave the hobby.

okay thanks! Well they are all really small right now, for example my Blue Tang is only about 2 inches long... and we are planning to get a really big tank asap ( as in the next 2-3 months)... 100+ gallons. Do you think that since they are so small they will be okay until then??

welcome. if i were you i would take those fish back ASAP. they will still kill each other over the next 3 months. youcan always buy the fish again.

+1 BJ
If you are planning to get a new large tank within the next 60 - 90 days they may be okay. As for the Butterfly................my older tangs have always "greeted" the new comer with a butt whooping that lasted a couple days. They will work it out. But get on that bigger tank like Pronto before the Tang Police show up.

Tangs can be mean. They tend to bully any fish that looks similar to them. Usually they'll work things out in a few days, but that's if the bullied fish has somewhere to hide and take shelter from them. In a tank that small, it doesn't have anywhere to go. Any tang and any angel is too large for a 20 gallon, as others mentioned. And since someone called the Tang Police on you, I'm going to have to file a report... :D

tangpolice.jpg

TangPolice-1.jpg

tang-police.jpg

TangPoliceBiff.jpg

TangPoliceJetGIF.gif

4562128871_2f5c213857_o.jpg

Oh rats! I've been caught! Better be going to the pet store to make some returns ASAP! Thanks for the advice everybody! :) Sgt. Biffwine has her eye on me I am afraid!

BUSTED!! At least you're not trying to justify squirm your way out of probation ;)

I would go with a 125g (that's what I have now). You can get your tang and butterfly and lots of other fish :D

Here's a site to help you research firsh before you buy them.. That way you're not spending money on fish that won't fit or that get killed 2 days later.

www.liveaquaria.com go to marine fish and start researching.

+1 everybody, get a bigger tank pronto...Something in the 150g and up range.:D No sense in buying a 100g wishing you had a 150...just get the 150..then you have very little limitations on what fish you can have.

Back