Tank setup begins

NGuay

Reefing newb
I haven't posted in a while, but I've been slowly setting up my tank in the meantime. I have some photos as well as an equipment list to start with.

For the tank I went with a Seaclear 46 gallon bowfront. A lot of people don't care for acrylic, but I love the clarity and the fact there is no top and bottom supports. It's a very well made tank and I can't say enough good things about it.

For the plumbing I have a Quietflow 600 u tube overflow from hurricane filters. It's quiet, no gurgling, and keeps its syphon. I've turned off my return pump, a mag 7, for testing and it has restarted each time. I am going with three mj 1200s on a natural wave timer, plus the return pump to provide 1300 gph flow after headloss. I built my sump out of a ten gallon tank from walmart. The skimmer is a Coralife Superskimmer 65 which is inexpensive but has great reviews. It compares well against the Remora. Also in the sump I have a 150w titanium heater, a pinpoint wireless thermometer, and a pinpoint ph monitor. Lighting I went with Coralife 192 watt pc with moonlights on a digital timer. All electrical is connected to a GFCI. I've started with an RO/DI from airwaterice.com for my water filtration.

I plan on keeping softies and lps. I ordered some handpicked fiji from Reefermadness that I plan on supplementing with some tonga branch.

On to the pics....

Behind the Tank

PA140049-resized.JPG

Electrical with drip loops and gfci

PA140050-resized.JPG

Sump

PA140051-resized.JPG

There's the guts of the tank. I'll post some pictures of the front of the tank when I get my rock. It looks much cleaner. Hopefully the rock will be here this weekend.

sounds really nice. good pics. great start. more pics soon please. congrats and best of luck on your system. sounds like you have throught your system through so far and made some good choices.

Back