Tank staying hot?

Eissie

Reefing newb
I have the 29 gal biocube and to be honest I have no previous expirence with salt water. I bought the tank off craigslist and I'm looking for any help I can get.

Right now I seem to be having a tough time keeping the temps down. According to my themometor I'm normally around like 80 and that can't be good.

I don't know anything about the lighting and there is no way I can tell you what it has in it, only that it has a "blue" light and a white light. Could it be that I'm running one longer than the other or just running them both too long?

When I bought the tank I also bought their hair algea and it has been a real pain trying to get rid of. But I almost have all of it gone. I know I do need more crabs and snails but I'm an hour away from a salt water store and the last time I ordered through our small town pet store everything died and I ended up having to remove all the rock and do a partial change. Eww.

But back to the heat problems. Anyone got suggestions? Tips?

80 is normal
mine flunctuates from 79-82
what kind of thermostat are you using the sticker or one with a probe?

Awesome. I was worried cause the only temp info i have is from they guy at the pet store. And all he could tell me what. "Keep the temp in the highlighted area" which is a range from 70 to 80. I am staying right at 80 so i was worried since i was almost out of the "highlighted range". But thank you guys! Im not so worried now. :D

Seeing as how you're new, I just wanted to ask what you're using to top off your water or to do your water changes? Are you using distllled or rodi? Because most tap water is not good for the tank, and could add to your hair algae issues. Also, old light bulbs can cause algae to grow, too.

Seeing as how you're new, I just wanted to ask what you're using to top off your water or to do your water changes? Are you using distllled or rodi? Because most tap water is not good for the tank, and could add to your hair algae issues. Also, old light bulbs can cause algae to grow, too.
Ha, yeah i have been using tap. I didnt know anything about different effects the type of water used would be. I have some Kent tap water chemicals to remove stuff, so yeah. But since i have been on this forum and done some reading through i see how important this is. I really dont have the money for a RO filter. So i guess from now on i'll try to get enough distilled.

Back