Tank Update: 4 months

poolshark181

Reefing newb
Wow, it's been awhile since I last posted here, been busy with everything @_@ Of course, my tank was not neglected, I've added a few more things to my tank. Yes, I have chaeto in my DP, i'm planning on getting rid of it soon, but theres so many critters in it, I'm reluctant to part with them, I might just shake it real good before I take it to the LFS =p

My hermits have dwindled from 12 to maybe 5 or 6. They've been killing each other for their shells. My turbos have all died, mysteriously, but not simultaneously, so there's no cause for concern. My tank sides are covered in what I believe to be copepods, and an interesting thing as well, my mag cleaner seems to be a breeding ground for them as well as a few smaller worms.

P1020367.JPG

Full shot

P1020370.JPG

my xenia, the thing grows like a weed, it doesnt pulse though, any idea why?

P1020358.JPG

I have this MASSIVE worm that comes out at night, it's scary really, I'm not sure what it is though. There's tons of smaller ones climbing everywhere, and a few medium sized ones. This pic is of a smaller one.

P1020369.JPG

My frag of featherdusters, i mean zoas. the featherdusters hitchhiked!=p

That worm is a bristleworm. No cause for concern, excellent scavengers, detritivores and cleaners. Nice feather duster rock :D.

Not all xenias pulse. Different species, maybe? Some just never do. Usually the ones that do are advertised as "pulsing xenia" and anything else just doesn't.

Looking good though!

Tanks looking sweet Pool.

Looks like you Xenia is in some decent flow.That may be one reason for it not pulsing.

exinia pulse when they dont have enough flow but dont when theres good flow also what kind of lighting do you have

Yep Mike,Thats a firefish.Their a great little fish to have,very peaceful,But are jumpers.You'll at least want some eggcrete on top for those.

No lid on my tank, I live in a hot area and I will need all the ventilation I can get, I was at Lowes earlier today and saw some 3/4" eggcrate. That should keep them buggers from jumping out..

In my experience, firefish really aren't jumpers...

I agree,I always had an open top and never lost a firefish.

Pool,the tank looks awesome.The coralline on your rocks lot great.People,even scientist don't know why some xenias pulse and others don't.Its not even understood why some stop pulsing altogether.Pulsing isn't a sign of good health or bad health.Yours look very healthy.

my xenia stopped pulsing when they grew tall enough to catch good flow from the poweheads. when i turn off the powerheads to feed the fish they will start pulsing again in just a minute or two of the powerheads shutting off.

Looking good Poolshark. :D I agree with Yote. I have heard the same thing anout xenias. They only pulse when not in direct flow of the powerhead and etc.

Back