Tank Update!

WarmSoda

Reefing newb
So, I just got back from a 2 day vacation with my brother at the University of Delaware, helping him pack up to come home. I left my tank in good condition, with some small brown diatom probelsm and thought I would give a little rest from me. I come home... and good lord! THE BROWN! It's eaten my rocks and my sand! (I might have some pics up later).

Fortunately, my test kits were on my front door right as we got home from the drive! YA! So, here's what's up...

pH: 8.3
Nitrites: 0~
Ammonia: 0~
Nitrate: 25~
Alkalinity: 2.5meq/L
Calcium: at least 400+ (API test is a little hard to read)
No Magnesium test kit yet :(

I've started using "C-Balance" to get my

Also, I seem to be getting some healthy coralline algae on the rocks! It looks really great! It started to come about when the brown diatoms started blooming, like almost on top of the coralline.

Should I start looking at a clean-up crew? If so, what and how many?

Do you have a cleaner crew yet? If no, then you're probably overdue for one!

I recommend 2 or 3 emerald crabs, about a dozen astraea snails, one or two Mexican turbo snails, 20 or so nassarius snails (if you buy the small pea-sized ones) or 10 or so of the big ones, 2 brittle or serpent stars, 3 or 4 peppermint shrimp, and a handful of miscellaneous snails like cerith, nerite, trochus, and bumblebee.

Do you have a cleaner crew yet? If no, then you're probably overdue for one!

I recommend 2 or 3 emerald crabs, about a dozen astraea snails, one or two Mexican turbo snails, 20 or so nassarius snails (if you buy the small pea-sized ones) or 10 or so of the big ones, 2 brittle or serpent stars, 3 or 4 peppermint shrimp, and a handful of miscellaneous snails like cerith, nerite, trochus, and bumblebee.

Wow! That sounds like alot of things to add to a tank. That's not too much for a 65 gallon?

No. They are a necessity. You can start with just the snails and crabs, and if they do well add the stars and shrimp. I suggest you add them later only because they are more sensitive to water conditions and you don't want to spend 40 or 50 on stuff that will only last long enough to disappear into the rocks forever. If you choose to add them all at once just make sure you test your water first.

Back