Tank Update!

Status
Not open for further replies.

WarmSoda

Reefing newb
So, I just got back from a 2 day vacation with my brother at the University of Delaware, helping him pack up to come home. I left my tank in good condition, with some small brown diatom probelsm and thought I would give a little rest from me. I come home... and good lord! THE BROWN! It's eaten my rocks and my sand! (I might have some pics up later).

Fortunately, my test kits were on my front door right as we got home from the drive! YA! So, here's what's up...

pH: 8.3
Nitrites: 0~
Ammonia: 0~
Nitrate: 25~
Alkalinity: 2.5meq/L
Calcium: at least 400+ (API test is a little hard to read)
No Magnesium test kit yet :(

I've started using "C-Balance" to get my Alk where I need it to be, and I'm hoping that will get my params where they need to be.

Also, I seem to be getting some healthy coralline algae on the rocks! It looks really great! It started to come about when the brown diatoms started blooming, like almost on top of the coralline.

Should I start looking at a clean-up crew? If so, what and how many?

yeah some ceriths or turbos will help with that brown gunk. Nassarius snails are great sand stirrers, too. Just stay away from any kind of crab if you get snails! I think it's RCPilot who's in the evil crab society lol

+1 Jag
Ceriths,astreas and trochus snails should help.
Get just enough to keep the algae at bay.Anymore and they'll just starve.
I'd start with 3 or 4 and add from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back