Tank Upgrade !?!

bangbangkhan

Reefing newb
I don't know how you guys felt after you got your first tank...but i am kinda confused here...maybe you have been through what I am thinking right now and could give me a better advice.

I currently have a 3 weeks old 30 gallon FOWLR/LS tank and only 3 week experience in saltwater aquarium...although i probably have read over 2000 pages of articles now...

I was planning on buying a protein skimmer and when I looked around the price for the protein skimmer I would need and the price for the skimmer for up to 100 gallon are pretty much the same price...now i am thinking that i could probably convert my 30 gallon into a sump and add a 55 gallon tank as the main one.

The other equipment such as heater/power heads i currently have are already rated for almost 75 gallon tank...so i will only need to dish out some money for sand and live rock.

What do you guys think? am I being too hasty or should I upgrade? :confused:

What if i buy a Remora HOB protein skimmer now; can it be added to a sump down the road?

Just don't buy a skimmer. On tanks 30 gallons and less they're not required and can easily be run without one.

If it in the budget and you want to go fullblown reef then I would up grade to the 55 and DIY a dump/ fuge with the 30 its a slow process but as you start to get all the cool coral and fish you want I think you will be happier having upgrade to the bigger displaytank

I think, if you are to upgrade, then you should do it now, because the transition only becomes a problem later on if anything.

Just remember, the costs are aren't simple as you think. Take into consideration all the little things, for example, the pipework, a cabinet/table (unless you have a big one to place it on already), the acrylic sheets to make the three separate areas, the adhesive, the drilling, the seperate pumps which will need to provide flow back up to the display tank, potentially more powerheads, adequate lighting and so on..

With all that considered, I think the benefits overrule the negatives (which is more or less cost). If you carry on with the 30G, you'll always hinder the thought in the back of your head about upgrading. With my 13G, whenever there is something minor bothering me which I want to adjust, I always think about just leaving it alone but the next day I'll end up doing it because the temptation is always there. In comparison to your situation, once you find the areas of which your 30G tank will limit yourself to, you'll be constantly telling yourself how you need a bigger tank. In this hobby, the only way once you're successful is upwards.

The other benefits of starting off bigger is obviously the less chance of you messing up. Given the larger water capacity, and since you're a novice, it's more of an advantage rather than a disadvantage because if you do find yourself struggling with water evaporation for example, it'll take a longer time for the tank to become unstable to the point where things aren't going right.

I'd definitely make the transition now if you can, but just remember there's a lot more costs than you think with a bigger tank. Smalls always add up.

I had a 27g cube without a skimmer for about a year but was really glad when I finally got one. I say go ahead and get the bigger tank if you can it will give you a bigger variety of fish to pick from.

The question is, why stop at a 55 when you could step up to a 75, or a 90, you can even find 125's in the 4 foot footprint

The problem with this hobby is as soon as you upgrade to something larger and get it all set up, you're already thinking about your next upgrade. Before you know it, that 55 will be too small as well.

For what its worth, I've had a 180 up for about 3 years now, and I'm currently exploring an upgrade to a Marineland DD 300 - the largest non custom tank in the 6 foot footprint - so I know exactly what you're thinking

+1 northstar...I would think at least a 75 over a 55. Then you can have a yellow tang. And the equipment you have will still work with the 75. :twocents:

75 is tempting...but will i be able to find it in a 4 feet footprint? and a 30 gallon sump will suffice for it?

The other cost i am worried about is the LED when i convert it to a reef...

75 is tempting...but will i be able to find it in a 4 feet footprint? and a 30 gallon sump will suffice for it?

The other cost i am worried about is the LED when i convert it to a reef...

LED's for a 75 aren't going to cost you any more than LED's for a 55 - they're both 4 foot tanks. I believe the largest standard 4 foot tank is a 125

Thanks Brian, I couldnt remember where the cutoff was....

I still stand behind my original statement about LED's though - a 4 foot tank will need two of the top tier fixtures, whether its a 55, 75, or a 90

I love my 90. I would watch Craigslist if you aren't in immediate need, it's a great way to go. We have gotten our 4 stage RODI and our dual reactor off of Craigslist. You do have to watch because occasionally you get people who think their used stuff is worth the new price or they paid $200 for lights for instance when they bought them and now the price of the same thing is $100.
If I were you, I would get at least a 75 because personally I don't like skinny tanks. I think they are tougher to aquascape, but that's my preference.

I love my 90. I would watch Craigslist if you aren't in immediate need, it's a great way to go. We have gotten our 4 stage RODI and our dual reactor off of Craigslist. You do have to watch because occasionally you get people who think their used stuff is worth the new price or they paid $200 for lights for instance when they bought them and now the price of the same thing is $100.
If I were you, I would get at least a 75 because personally I don't like skinny tanks. I think they are tougher to aquascape, but that's my preference.

I got my eyes glued to Craigslist...the search continues...since the 75 can fit within 4 feet....I think i can make that work.

Yeah I agree get the biggest one you can afford.

I went from a 27 to a 55 to a 75 with the 75 being just Jan 1 this year and I already wish I had a bigger one LOL

I found another tank(Hagen) in very good condition..going to check it out tonight.

1) I was just doing a rough estimate and the local LFS sells the Aqua C EV-120 Protein Skimmer Package for 416.95...the site is J&L Aquatics

Can you guys recommend any other websites that are reliable and i wont have to mail the item to U.S for warranty purposes?

2) I have 35 lbs of live rock right now and I would need to increase that to 90lbs. thats an added cost of around 350..is there a cheaper alternative?

Back