Tap Water experiment

This should be interesting and educational. Back when I first started in salt water I used tap in a FOWLR tank and while I did have algae problems my fish and inverts were perfectly fine and active....but now that I think about it I did have unexplained fish death and maybe that contributed to it in some way,

So the Ammonia went down and nitrites are up at 1ppm...here is a new piece of equipment I purchased, just a small 100GPH hang on the back with Purigen in it

also have an updated picture of the tank, no diatoms or anything yet and my ghetto fabbed ATO seems to be working well as it's keeping my salinity at 1.026

temp is stable at 79-79.4 with the reefkeeper and PH is around 7.8...also threw in a super tiny piece of rubble from the 75G

Attachments

• DSC_0072.JPG
    DSC_0072.JPG
    120.5 KB · Views: 288
  • DSC_0076.JPG
    DSC_0076.JPG
    124.7 KB · Views: 271
  • DSC_0073.JPG
    DSC_0073.JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 269
I'm going to follow. I have ran it for a year and half and have not had 1 issue. I need a tds reading for proof. I'm at 126 on ciity water. I don't add anything just a pump for a day before I add my salt mix. The chlorine will evap. You should tag my tank showcase in this one best friend. ;-)

that's what I thought...I need to get a Hannah phosphate checker for exact results

Mario, that's awesome your tank is doing so well on tap water...I love using RODI but the filters are freaking expensive and need to be replaced about 3 times a year for big tanks

Welp the cycle is complete...ammonia and Nitrites are at 0, nitrates are at about 10ppm

no algae showing or diatoms which is kind of weird but I have kept the lights off mostly the whole time, I am going to go pick up a Jewel Damsel today...this will be the only fish in the tank but I want a little bio-load for the coral I will eventually put in there

will post pictures later today when the guy is in there

pretty much...I am super happy to be moving back in my own house but kind of bummed, we weren't suppose to move until July or later

I have to tear down my 75G which sucks but the LFS will buy everything

Back