Tap Water foul

Shishimon

Reefing newb
I set up my 29 gallon Bio cube 21 days ago. I didn't do the research first I know bad Shawn(that's my real name). Question is I have been topping off my tank daily about 1 gallon maybe a little less. I think because I using a desk top fan to cool the water. Anyways I have added 20 gallons of RO through top off. In your option have I removed most of the tap water?

I think you mean you started your tank with tap water, and you want to know if by topping off with RODI the tap water has been replaced with RODI? No, because evaporation only removes pure water. The contaminates from tap water are still in your tank.

+1 Lisa. You will need to do water changes to switch out the tap water. Don't beat yourself up over it -- setting up the tank with tap water is something a lot of people do, either because of lack of research or just to save time and money (especially for big tanks). If you are doing regular water changes with RODI water, you will get it moved out over time.

Is your tank finished cycling? If so, you should get on a regular water change schedule -- once a week, or every two weeks.

Biferwine I'm 20 days into the cycle. I havent done a water change yet. Should I have? What would be the suggested about 10% 20%.
Ammonia .25ppm
Nitrite 2.0
PH 8.0
Nitrate 160 ppm
Specific Gravity 1.023

If you don't have any livestock in there you could wait until your ammonia and nitrite is zero. And if you don't have livestock I'd change 80% of the water before you add any. Your tap water is probably loaded with nitrates like mine was.

I hope you don't have livestock - you shouldn't at this point. Just wanted to clarify. If you did later on you should only change 50% at the most at one time. But 10% weekly to maintain good water quality works best for most people.

Normally, doing water changes during a cycle could possibly slow down the cycle, since you're taking out ammonia that the bacteria thrive on. It depends on how you feel about waiting longer. I was lucky in my 45g -- not knowing, I filled my tank w/ dechlorinated tap water until I learned that the nitrates in tap could cause algae outbreaks. So within a few days, I drained the tank, and switched to RODI. I've read a few people also starting out with tap, and ended up with a lot of algae problems...but eventually, with many water changes, they got back on track.

It's really up to you. At least you're now using RODI :)

Back