tap water reef tank!

I cant possibly think of one thing the RO/DI unit would be doing to inhibit coral growth, unless you have corals that like water a little on the dirty side.
Yeah,like rics, shrooms and zoas :mrgreen:*cough,cough* ,,all i ever really had/have

But that is assuming that the nutrients they want are in the tap, I mean best of luck for you I ran a tap tank for a while, I like my RO one much better. Also if you do ever make a switch over to different corals instead of softies you will want that better HQ water.

But that is assuming that the nutrients they want are in the tap, I mean best of luck for you I ran a tap tank for a while, I like my RO one much better. Also if you do ever make a switch over to different corals instead of softies you will want that better HQ water.
Not likely for me ,,i'm all about Angels and triggers ,,:mrgreen:,,,angels require pretty good water quality also...,but i think if one is running an algae scrubber its very possible

Last edited:
Cath, my zoas, and softies all do great with the RO, the LPS, like my frogspawn and candy canes are the ones that aren't doing good.

Florida has HORRIBLE water because we dont have deep wells so they have to load it up with garbage so its drinkable. Using tap for me is out of the question.

Good luck though I know it would certainly make it easier

The extra investment of a RO/DI filter is worth it. Tap water, even when treated has phosphates, silicates, and other stuff that help diatoms and algae overgrow corals. Or you can use distilled water from your LFS or supermarket.

I just started and i cant tell you this:
Im poor! I so dont have the money for an ro filter.
Plus im not trying to do any corals right now. D:

If you're doing a fish-only tank, then you may ba able to get by with a water dechlorinator.

Remember that most fish are taken form the wild so we must give them the best possible care.

As of now (only 2 partial water changes into my tank experience) everything is fine for now. No algae, but sometimes it feels like im pushing luck with the new tank.

Back