tapwater conditioners ?

dont use tap water, use drinking water RODI
and ive heard the conditioners work but heres some chemisty stuff the conditioners do not remove the chlorine, and about 10 other chemicals from the water it only passivates (spelling) those chemicals which need to be filtered out with a good amount of carbon

Tap water = massive algae outbreaks. My neighbor a couple houses down has a saltwater tank and she swears by tap water but has hair algae growing like crazy! She also cant seem to keep any inverts alive. She says shes been doing this for a year. Only coral she has in the tank is some zoas which are not that great looking. I've had mine up and running for about 7 weeks and my tank is much better then hers. Use ro/di and you will save yourself a lot of time and money!

Tap water contains all sorts of things that are nasty for your tank. It contains nitrates which will cause ugly algae to grow and will prevent you from keeping any inverts, like corals or shrimp.

Tap water also contains copper with is lethal to inverts in tiny tiny tiny amounts.

Get a good RO/DI filter (around $150) and it will be the best money you spend in this hobby. Or you can buy distilled water from the store, which is fine but hauling water is very annoying long term.

Tap water contains all sorts of things that are nasty for your tank. It contains nitrates which will cause ugly algae to grow and will prevent you from keeping any inverts, like corals or shrimp.

Tap water also contains copper with is lethal to inverts in tiny tiny tiny amounts.

Get a good RO/DI filter (around $150) and it will be the best money you spend in this hobby. Or you can buy distilled water from the store, which is fine but hauling water is very annoying long term.

Everyone has got you covered!

If you plan to keep inverts or corals, then start off on the right foot and use RODI water.

Check your water supplies TDS....and go from there....I'm fortunate to have good Tap,not everyone is....thats not to say it can't be used..
Fish only with some shrooms and hammers or frogspawn corals and probably leathers all do fine in Tap...I also kept shrimps and hermits and snails just fine...

Hair algae grows in any system that is not kept up well or overfed,over lit ...ect..........RO or not

Hair algae grows in any system that is not kept up well or overfed,over lit ...ect..........RO or not

True, but with tap water, you are potentially adding nitrates. Which then will feed the algae even if you dont over feed. Why shoot yourself in the foot? Its like trying to weed your garden while at the same time spreading dandelion seeds.

I never had an issue with HA....ever...
I'm not promoting TW, i'm simply saying its doable ,,,i'm doing it...
Does my tank look like biff's or D2's .....heck no....but i knew going in from day one i would rather have angels and triggers than all that coral......I guess its up to the individual ,and they have to ask themselves what they want to keep....if its FO with a few "easy" corals ,then TW is "doable"

Back