temporary home help for 2 aggressive-ish fish

FishyReef

Broke Reefer!
My black cap basslet and six-line wrasse have been in a temporary home for the last 3 months while I get their new tank set up. The guy contacted me earlier this week and needs them moved by this weekend. I am just getting ready to start cycling their new tank but need to find them a temp home in the mean time. I am getting a 20g set-up off of someone this weekend to use as a QT and to relocate some of the livestock and equipment from to my nano tank. Do you think I could temporarily house both the basslet (3 1/2 inches) and the six-line (1 1/3 inch) in the 20g, or is this a set up for them to kill each other?

They should be fine. Give each plenty of hiding places, like PVC or something.

Why not put the rocks from your nano into your new tank to speed up the cycle?

You could also add some of your cycled water to the new tank. I'm sure you have some rock you can take out of your 90 to help with the cycle also.

If I lived closer and had a bigger tank I would totally help you out!

I have a 90 with a small sailfin, pair of clowns, and I transferred a YWG 2 weeks ago so I may have some room for at least the 6-line. I also have a 54gal corner that is currently broken down but I have a ton of Live rock in a tub and some water from the 90 if you want we could set something up temporarily. I hate to hear about situations like this.

Ugh, I am so upset about this. We are supposed to get a big storm on Friday/Saturday. The guy wants them gone Saturday, and he lives 2 1/2 hours away. I am not going to risk my life driving 2 1/2 hours in a blizzard to go and pick them up from him. I asked him if he had any ideas and his response was "IDK. I'll buy them from you if you want." I feel like he's forcing my hand and I'm going to have to just let him keep the fish. I really wanted these guys back. When I buy a fish or any pet I do so with the intention of keeping it and giving it a long and healthy life. What can I do?

I wish I could... I'm picking up the 20 on Sunday - it's a full set up that's been up and running for 6 months. I could rearrange things and try to drive out tomorrow night after work and put them in the 10g for a few days.... do you think they would eat my sexy shrimp? There are no other fish in the 10g, and I was trying to leave it fallow after I had an ich outbreak mid-nov.

Update: So the guy was maybe going to come into the city today and bring them to me, but got called in to work for the impending storm. He's now planning to come into Boston on Sunday and will bring them with him. This is a much better plan since I'm picking up the 20g on Sunday as well. I'll move the goby that's currently in the 20g to the 10g and then put the basslet and six-line in the 20g, along with some additional rock. If they start to kill each other then I'll add some egg-crate right down the middle to separate them while their larger tank cycles. Let's pray this works and comes together as planned!

Back