test kits- so many out there

djpj001

Reefing newb
I'm looking to buy a new test kit for my water. With so many testing products out there it's hard to choose the right one for your tank. I recently bought a nitrate test becuase my last one ran out. It was horrible, the color patterns go from light pink to dark pink and the range in ppm is not very accurate. ex. one color box would indicate 20 ppm and the next would jump to 50 ppm. So I'm posting this thread to see if anyone can recommend any good test kits out there in the market. I'm trying to stay away from test strips. I'm mainly looking for nitrate,pH,Kh,calcium. I would like test kits for Mg, Fe, I, and Sr. but I've seen them very expensive and not sure if it's needed for my tank. I have variety of corals expect for sps. I add Sr, Mg, Fe, and I to my tank weekly and blindly, because I have no idea all much of these elements are in my tank. I assume once a week is safe enough not to over dose the tank and just enough to keep the corals happy. It's not the best way but it's my only way right now.

Djpj

I have four nitrate tests right now -- the test strips say 20, Salifert says 10, Red Sea says 100 and Aquarium Pharmaceuticals says 0. I still don't know which one to believe! Good luck... The Red Sea, Salifert, and Aquarium Pharmaceutical pH tests read the same on my tank, and I have Red Sea and Salifert Calcium tests that read the same. So nitrate seems to be the only test I've had issues with. Salifert is expensive, but is supposed to be the best brand. To me, it's really hit or miss, I can't recommend one brand over another because they all seem to be a little tempermental.

Most of my testing will be electronic and probes, however, I will carry some test kits for comparison. I will be using Salifert, or, maybe the new instant ocean test kits.

I use aquarium ph and red sea I also take a sample to lfs once a month to make sure the test are good sometimes they go bad and give false readings. Of corse lfs tests are limited (amm. ph. Nit. phos. and saltinty ) but good to have a check. Also I know that a protein skimmer takes a lot out of water. Iodine Is one thing it takes out. I was told that an iodine test was not trust worthy and that came from a lfs ( figer that ) This is only my :twocents:

Back