test kits

diver

Reefing newb
I was wondering what kind(brand) tests are considered most accurate. there are so many brands, with pretty wide price differences. Any suggestions?

Salifert are the best brand, but are expensive. API (Aquarium Pharmaceuticals) and Red Sea are cheaper but also pretty accurate and good brands.

Thanks, I almost bought a red sea, it had what I wanted but was about 2x the price of the api. I haven't seen the other where i'm at.

Salifert kits are very good, but there are problems within the company and some of the kits are out of stock or very hard to find.
Sera test kits are supposed to be pretty good and are priced nice.

I have API, but I have found that my readings and my LFS readings using the same brand produce a 5ppm difference in Nitrate readings.

It mainly depends on the freshnessof the reagents and the care in there shipping and storage. If your really concerned with accuracy then you need professional grade testing supplies like Hach. However, your talking typically double the price, however your reagents are always much fresher and more accurately prepared, and your dealing with suppliers instead of the typical retailers. If you are going with aquarium grade test supplies, pick a source such as a major distributer such as Marine Depot or Drs. Foster and Smith and not your local fish store. It is not surprising to see local pet stores get in "new" shipments that have packing dates of a year before or more. You want reagents 6 months old or even younger when they are being replaced, not when they are being bought.

Back