Test kits

I like the API test kits. I really hate the pH test but everything else works well for me. I think this kit is great to start up with. However the nitrate test is not that accurate below 10.

The only test kit that I have bought that just absolutely was horrible was the Red Sea test kit. It was not even remotely close to being accurate.

how do ya'll feel about the electronic testers, like the tds meter, or a ph meter?

My biggest issue with the test kits is that it requires me to distinguish very subtle color differences, and while my vision is 20/20, i still have a really hard time telling weather or not the test tube is closer to this shade of green or that one.

i've tried count the drop test kits, and i've tried the dip a strip kind, and i still have a helluva hard time reading them...

Suggestions? is there something out there that will make this easier for me, cause as it is now, i just dont test anything unless someone with better color recoginition than i have is at the house...

Some electronic tester are reasonable like the pH one and cost under $100. The Nitrate and the phosphate one are cost to $200.

i wouldnt mind spending that for a tester if i know its a good one, will last, and i can actually read the results...

expecially if you consider how important thoes parameters are....

I use my ACjr to keep an eye on the PH.
Normally use API to test everything else,but keep Salifert just incase someting reads out of whack.

I use API, but have a pinpoint for calcium testing. It works well but needs calibrating frequently. I agree with you project, reading the results is difficult for me too sometimes. I think I look at a color and use wishful thinking and deduct that it is one color instead of another because it is the better choice. :lol: There are more men involved in this hobby than women. When have us men been that good with color! :shock:

I'm in the exact same situation except I'm a little color blind with green tints. I always write my readings down and have my wife check them too. Lighting makes a huge difference too. From a dim lit room to a bright one, you can see the shades a lot better.

A lot of times the LFS doesn't even have the "basics" to sell. Depends on the city. I have been able to find test kits at national chains but not LFS. With that said, you probably would be able to get a much better selection and price than the local guys (if you had one) anyway, by shopping on line.

Back