Testing the Water

Eric Noa

Reefing newb
Hello guys,

I tested the water yesterday and the ammonia and nitrite were at 0 and the Nitrate was between 0 & 5

Yep, sounds like your cycle is done! Have you decided what kind of fish to buy first? Also, now would be a good time to add a small cleaner crew -- some snails, a few hermit crabs if you'd like. Wait another month or so before adding more sensitive cleaners like shrimp and starfish.

Thanks Yote and Biff. I will keep you updated on the results.

Biff, I really like Clownfish, Blue Tang and Yellow Tang... I'll probably going to be adding those first.

I would like to have more than one type of clownfish... is that possible? or would they fight?

Also I would need a sea anemone for each type of clownfish.

One last question, A friend of mine said to add Bionic for calcium... is that necessary?

Thanks Yote and Biff. I will keep you updated on the results.

Biff, I really like Clownfish, Blue Tang and Yellow Tang... I'll probably going to be adding those first. Hold off on the tangs, you can get you a clownfish for now...remember start slow, you can't add too many things too soon.

I would like to have more than one type of clownfish... is that possible? or would they fight?Nope...two diff clowns will fight, find a species you really like and stick with that.

Also I would need a sea anemone for each type of clownfish.
Clowns don't need anemones at all, so it's not mandatory...plus it's not wise to get an anemone untii your tank is between 9m to a year established...they need perfect water and very strong lighting.
One last question, A friend of mine said to add Bionic for calcium... is that necessary?
Not at all...weekly water changes will supply everything your tank needs, including calcium.

Continue to let your tank establish itself, and over time you'll have that reef tank you want, but it takes time and patience. :D

Thanks Smitty... Im not in a hurry I was just answering Biff's question... lol :D

I tested the water just now and took pics of the result. HEre they are and aslo a picture of the tank with the moon light on. lol

Attachments

• Test1.jpg
    Test1.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 260
  • Test2.jpg
    Test2.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 259
  • Test4.jpg
    Test4.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 273
  • Test3.jpg
    Test3.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 272
  • Test&tank5.jpg
    Test&tank5.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 266
  • Test&tank6.jpg
    Test&tank6.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 253
  • Test&tank7.jpg
    Test&tank7.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 267
Last edited:
Your tests look spot on!

I agree with Smitty, better to pass on the anemones. They are more trouble than they are worth, and can crash your whole tank. Your clown/s will be perfectly fine without one.

You should stick to keeping one type of clown in your tank. Chances are very good that different clowns would fight to the death. Pick which type is your favorite, and either get one or two. I personally like skunk clowns the best.

Thats a good looking tank Eric.
I agree with on the anemone.They are awesome animals,but they'll eventually cause you a bunch of headaches.I had a Bubbletip that killed nearly 1,000 dollars worth of SPS colonies because I tweaked one of my powerheads just a touch.

Back