Testing water

mono19

Reefing newb
How soon after you do a water change can you test your water? I know you need to let it mix up some but how soon is too soon?

what are you testing it for?

You should let the water mix for at least 24 hours before using it in a water change that way the pH can settle out and the salt can fully dissolve.

Hey everyone, I was just asking about regular testing...ammonia nitrates ect. Just wanted to know if there was a long wait or if you could do it the same day. It's been about almost 6 hours since I did my water change, could I do it in a couple more hours? Or should I wait till tomorrow?

Yes, you can do it now. It shouldn't take more than an hour or so to mix all the water together if you have good flow in your tank.

Well I have 3 power heads and my return pump, I hope that's enough flow. Biff why is it good to wait 24 hours for your water to mix?

When you are making new saltwater for a water change, it can take up to 24 hours for the salt to fully dissolve and mix in with the water. If you dump the salt in, mix it up, then test the salinity, it will probably be off compared to if you test it a few hours or a day later. So when you do water changes, prepare the water a day ahead of time if possible.

Back