the baby clowns .....

Darren&Candace

Reefing newb
hello all,
so our new additions arrived yesterday, and they are the cutest little babies ever!! only about an 1 1/4" long they are so cute mixed in with the tangs!! everyone gets along great which we are so happy for!! ..... a couple of questions though in regards to little creatures .... we have no coral or anything for them to host in but have decided that today is the day .... I know they wont for sure go to something, but they look kinda lost, one tried to sleep on the magnetic glas cleaner last night, the other on the tube that pumps water back in the tank, so we figure anything to make them a little happier in their new home ..... suggestions or personal preference as to something they make find attractive?? also, eating habits ...... we are used to watching two 5" tangs devour everything we throw in their (except nori) .... so watching these guys eat this morning was a bit trying ..... we gave them a good assortment ....garlic soaked myiosis (bad spelling I know) ... 2 kinds of pellets, and some roe .... they didn't seem to eat much at all, they do seem to kind of eat the little white things (copopods I presume) that float around a little, and a mouthful of shrimp, and maybe a bite of a pellet ..... this is only their first feeding since they came to their new home, but some opinions as to whether I should be alarmed at this small amount of eating or not would be appreciated
thanks!!

Congrats! Pictures:D

Clowns are likely to host or not host anything. I have seen them attracted to frogspawn, hammer, torch, mushrooms, colts, clams, mag floats, powerheads, overflows and anemones. All you can do is try something and see what happens.

As far as eating---- offer them variety and give them some time to get settled. They will be the pigs of the tank in no time. They are omnivores so try a little seaweed when you feed your tangs. Take a little piece and roll it between your fingers under water so little pieces will break off and float around the tank.

Congrats! Pictures:D

Clowns are likely to host or not host anything. I have seen them attracted to frogspawn, hammer, torch, mushrooms, colts, clams, mag floats, powerheads, overflows and anemones. All you can do is try something and see what happens.

As far as eating---- offer them variety and give them some time to get settled. They will be the pigs of the tank in no time. They are omnivores so try a little seaweed when you feed your tangs. Take a little piece and roll it between your fingers under water so little pieces will break off and float around the tank.

pics for sure ... I will try to get some good ones and figure out how to upload them again ... thanks for the words of wisdom!!

Congratulations on your new couple!

If you have the lights for coral then sure add some.Euphyllia(frogspawn,torch and hammer).They will be fine without a host as well.I do like to add that I had my pair for about 4 months has host a powerhead and doesn't look twice at all the corals they could be hosting.

Congrats very exciting!
I remember when I added mine they were also a small pair but now the female is easily twice as big as the male. I've had my pair for almost two years and they have not shown any interest in any of the corals in the tank. Large torch, large bubble tip nem, large frogspawn, hammer & lots of xenia. About the only thing they paired up with was the magfloat when it was left in the tank. They started laying eggs awhile ago which is cool but their aggression level definitely goes up in the tank. I feed mine a mix of different frozen foods Mysis, Marine Cuisine ,Emerald Entree, Nori, Spirulina brine shrimp they'll eat pretty much anything little gluttons.

Unfortunately they do not survive, the other fish and critters make short work of them once they hatch. One day I will separate them and breed them properly.

Back