the cause of my diatoms...

when you say slowly. can you explain this process. I dont want to mess anything up.

When you do your water changes, just take out 3 or 4 and eventually they'll all be out. Also, for the stuff building up in your sump you can use a gravel vac to suck it out during water changes. Oh, and you need to have a light over your macro algae so that it will grow, it's basically a plant.

here are my parameters.
ph level: 8.2ppm
nitrite 0-.10 ppm
amonia 0-.10ppm
nitrate level 0-3.0 ppm
phosphate .15ppm

powerhead is well i dont know
definately not lava rock. it is very poreous but when i received it was very white dry, said it had been cured not sure what else i can say.

your phosphates are a bit too high.. ideally you would like to see less than 0.05 ppm

everything else looks fine though. Getting a light on that macro in your sump will help out for sure.

the bioballs are not necessary if you have liverock (about 1.25 lbs per gallon ideally) and i would personally remove them...too big of a source for problems in my opinion

Also I would personally look at trading in your kole tang for one or two fish...something a bit more suited for your size of tank. Something like a nice blenny or goby. Alot of blennys will rasp algae of rocks and the tank wall too as a bonus.

It sounds like your rock is okay. It doesn't sound like it's lava rock. I agree with the rest of them about the bioballs -- remove them gradually, about a handful per day.

What kind of lights do you have? What type, how many bulbs? I think we need to find out why your corals are dying.

So, marco rocks are the rocks I chose. EBAY!!! Now for my lights I am running two atinics 10 hours a day. thinking about reducing that by 3 hours and 2 day lights for 7 hours. they are all on timers all are odyssea bulbs days are 12000k. by the way the powerhead is 3000L/H. I will post me picks for you to see.

odyssea bulbs

That is one prob, Odyssea bulbs are pretty much crap when they send them to you, I used mine for 6 months and I am very glad that I changed them out. Go with ATI, UV, or Giesemann bulbs.

Other than that mostly what others has posted will get you on track.

Try to get your ammonia/nitrite and Phosphates to 0. Of the 3 I would be most concerned with your phosphates.

Here are two pics of my aquarium

Attachments

• all 282.jpg
    all 282.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 252
  • all 285.jpg
    all 285.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 376
I am having a problem finding the lights for my fixture due to the fact that my fixture is running 2 65w middays, and 2 65w actinics. both are compact bulbs. cant find the lights for this fixture.

is uv lighting company good. they are straight pin 65w lights. I really like the look of the actinics and not the middays. what can I do?

I have one rock covered in red hair algae should I remove it. My emerald crab and tang keep it clipped, but not sure if this would be a cause of concern

When you do your next water change,just scrub the algae off that rock using the old water and a NEW stiff birstled tooth brush.

Back