The Destruction of a Great Reef

sen5241b

Reef enthusiast
I noticed that Google Earth has recently uploaded a high-res image of the Costa Rican eco-lodge and surrounding area that I went to last December. (Lat 9° 7'51.98"N and Long 83°43'5.62"W). The whole coast had an incredible reef but about 6 years ago they built a road along the southern Pacific coast without taking into account runoff and as a result the reefs were all covered with silt and about 60% destroyed. This happened even though the coast had been made a National Park! [SIZE=-1](Ballena Marine National Park)[/SIZE]. I visited Isla del Caño just off the coast where the reef is still pristine and it is incredible snorkel or scuba dive on a par with Hanauma Bay HI (but not the keys or Bermuda).

Wander when the cost of progress will get to expensive?When the only wildlife left on the planet lives in a zoo or public aquarium?
Makes me sick to be human.

I visited that same area a few years ago. I stayed in an ecolodge in the Corcovado National Forest. Small world, huh?

Last December I stayed just a bit south of Uvita in an eco-lodge called La Cusinga -the guy who started the place came there from the US before there were any roads into the area. He arrived by boat. link ... We booked a room for the next year before we left.

Biff, If you go back down you MUST go out to the reefs of Isla del Cano! Yeah I heard Corvacado is awesome.

Back