The Mandarin

markrj

Reefing newb
Is doing well! Got him February 2012. Still fat and happy!

Mandarin11262012.jpg

I use a tablespoon of Arcti Pods every few feedings. Maybe twice a week.

I've never seen him eat them. He is constantly picking at he rocks and sand and even the glass where some mild algae grow. The turbos usually take care of that stuff but I have seen living pods scurrying around in the algae on the glass. I understand that pod breeding is a benefit of using an algae scrubber. It seems to work great for me.

If you mean live pods the answer is no.

The tank had a healthy amount of pods just from the live rock and sand before I introduced the Mandarin to the tank but that was back in February.

I think the algae scrubber is breeding them for me.

Simple and so effective. I have no skimmer or any other form of filtration. Just the DIY algae scrubber.

One of my favorite fish. I've really wanted to try one for quite some time but I'm still reluctant. I don't want to take the chance of dooming another fish to starvation! I know there was a company captive breeding one of the other varieties a while back and they were supposed to be very accepting of flake and frozen foods. I hope they breed this type someday! Anyway, nice to see one doing well, nice work!

Welcome to the site, AllReady!

And you're right -- ORA actually has successfully been breeding mandarins in captivity. Even though they are trained to eat frozen (try to avoid flakes), they can still revert back to wanting just live foods due to the stress of the move, and you'd have to retrain them. But either way, captive breeding is the way to go, and you have a higher chance of it eating frozen :)

So, how does one train a Mandarin? Mine seems to be very shy and actually hides during feeding time.

i believe you make a feeding dish out of a baby food jar or something similar. You want something that only your Mandarin can get into. The idea is you place some food into this dish and the mandarin hopefully learns to associate that with food

Love the Mandarin..it's such a beautiful fish! Really want one..just wouldn't want it to starve because not enough pods. I would call it Mandy. :D

I love my Mandarin (Sir Goby). He eats frozen just like the rest of my fish do. As soon as the food hits the water he's out scarfing up his share!

Pods are reproducing in my sump but I do add live pods about every three months just to help keep them going.

Back