The trend continues

I've started just Guacamole dosing twice a weak rather than target feeding. It makes the funk in my skimmer a bit funkier but it's way easier and my hands feel smooth and silky after playing in the tank water...

Fry's. 3 for a dollar. Gotta shop the sales Biff! I'm going to try growing an avocado tree in my sump...

Once your tree gets established, would you mind sharing some of the clippings with me so I can start my own? Do you think the roof of my house will get in the way?

its okay biff, i can't keep BUTTONS alive worth :poop:. and THOSE are supposed to be easy. I keep everything but those D:

I've had a lovely green short-tentacled plate coral (Funghia) in my tank for a year and he's fine. They BIG question here is what are your phosphates?! Dr Shimek warns it only takes 0.25 ppm to start killing many stonys. Phosphates will bleach many stony corals very fast! I'm surprised this question wasn't asked earlier.

"In captivity most corals and other animals will tolerate high (up to 30ppm) nitrate levels, but measurable phosphate concentrations above 0.1 ppm generally have deleterious effects including failure of polyps to expand and eventual decline and death".

Also: "Likewise, phosphates are also byproducts of animal metabolism, and although not toxic to most animals, high phosphate concentrations may reduce or stop coral growth."

Dr.Ronald L. Shimek

I think 0.25 ppm is enough to kill some stony corals overnight.

I don't think it would be phosphates. I've been able to keep SPS in tanks that the plates have died in. SPS would have been more sensitive to the phosphates than the plate corals. I have no way of testing for them though... Phosphate test kits aren't accurate or reliable.

Its really quite a mystery that something kills plates but not SPS. I have the same problem with Zoas -they get a fungus (Zoa Pox) or possibly some bacterial infection and die. Perhaps there is some bacterium or microscopic parasite that preys on your plates. Another possibility is a fish might quickly nip it to death. My Yellow Clown Goby bit the hell of my plate and I had to move him to my 20. If so, put a plastic 'cage' over the plate. I'd also take a wild guess that there is some trace mineral missing? A toxin?

Does your LFS (or anyone nearby) have a Low Range Phosphate Colorimeter? Yeah, phosphates would kill SPS too but I'd check it anyway.

Back