THinking about another tank

Doc

I don't work for anybody
So I finally admit to my addiction to salt water fish tanks. I have been fighting the urge to start a new tank, mostly because of money and space. I am dying to get another tank going. I am hoping to try and get an economical way to get this second tank going. Here are my questions: 1) Do I have to have a protein skimmer with an 80 gal reef tank? 2) Can I get away with a biowheel-style for carbon and biological filtration if I don't stock it too heavy with fish?

I have the lighting, 80 gal tank, stand, live rock, and UV steralizer. Hoping to get a biowheel filter, sand and off I go. Am I missing something? Obviousily, it is not the perfect set up, but I am just chomping at the bit to get another tank going, even if it is less than perfect for a couple of months. Thank you all in advance for your advice.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

From an ethical stand point I would have issue exposing living creatures to an environment I knew wasn't as good as it could be.

If you are only going to keep fish and no corals you might be ok, but if you plan on keeping shrimp, corals or any invertebrates a skimmer is very important.

Dr. Marco,
you already have one system up and running. draw from your experiance from that system. Cutting corners to save money is a forumula for disaster. I would simply recommend you decide what type of a system you want, purchase the best equipment you can to make that happen, and have fun. one common item we see in the majority of systems that have nitrate problems is bio wheels and canister filters. should tell ya something. just my thoughts, however, if you do a through cleaning at least every 10 days on your filter equipment you might get a way with it. if your stocking level is very low and your bio export exceeds the import or deposit, you may not need a protien skimmer. I ran a 55 for 3 years with no protein skimmer with an anemone, clown, and lion, with a 3" thick wall of algae on the back wall and 5 hours of direct sun light daily in 1976, so bio load balancing and good oxygen levels are a must along with the other basics. hope something here helps. good luck

I came to that same conclusion hours after make that post. Luckily, the other day my work asked me to set up a 90 gal reef tank for customers to view. I was tickled pink. Now I get to set up a tank on someone else's dime! what luck!

-Dr Marco

congrats on the opprotunity to set up a system. always fun for me anyways. Dr. Marco, could you please post some more pics of the blue tang. Im thinking of one for myself when i get to that point and would like to get a better view of one in an aquarium so I can make a final decision. im curious if they keep their blue or if they go black all the way. thanks in advance and good luck on your system.

Did you mean the Regal Tang or the Atlantic Blue? I will happily post new pics of the Regal Tang, but alas, the Atlantic Blue succumbed to an infection when I went on a week vacation. I saw it when I got back and when I started treating with Melafix, it was too late to save him and once he was too weak to fend for himself, got his eyes eaten out by the Niger Trigger and the Tomato Clown. Not a pretty sight. Let me know.

-Dr Marco

sorry to hear of the loss. the atlantic blue is the one i was interested in. oh well, maybe next time. thanks though. happy fishin.

Back