Thinking of a NEW Skimmer

dcantucson

Reef pro
Currently I have a Tunze skimmer that is over rated for my tank, but it doesn't seem to pull as much stuff out as I think it should. I only have to empty it about once a week, if that often. I have adjusted it (one valve), cleaned it and done everything else to it I know to do. So I'm lead to believe that maybe I need a new super duper one?

So the question is:

What would be the ultimate skimmer that you would get? My tank is 150 gallons with a medium to large bio-load. I have been hearing a lot about these Cone Skimmers. Any Thoughts? Thanks.

I was talking to Paul at Oceans Motions and he said to talk to the skimmer manufacturer and get the skimmer rated for the amount of water you're pulling through the sump. If the skimmer is rated for a lot more, it's not going to skim well.

I think I'm going to get a Vertex skimmer for my new tank. They're getting really good reviews and the price is right.

The Million Dollar question. How much do you want to spend on a skimmer?
It's easier to recommend a skimmer knowing a price range.

With a nice budget like that everyone seems to recommend bubble king skimmers.

As far as size goes, I wish I remembered how he explained it but it had something to do with efficiency. Either way, which ever brand you decide on, call the manufacturer and talk to them about your tank and see which size they recommend.

Thanks ccCapt. Guess I'm glad I didn't say under $2,000.00. Ha Ha
Gosh these thing seem soooo expensive for molded plastic and a motor!

Back