This is not good

Hopps

Reefing newb
:frustrat: Please help me. I've had my tank for 1 year and recently my coral has been overtaken by red slim while at the same time had a numer of my hard corals die, my giant clam and mussels have died and my soft corals have retracted from their former size. My tank is at 80F, my ph, ammonia and phosphates are all in line. Ive had it suggested that I try adjsuting akilinity and wonder the best way to do this and monitar its levels, if this is the proper course.
Thanks, attached are pictures.

DSCN1246.JPG
DSCN1248.JPG
DSCN1249.JPG
DSCN1250.JPG

Hopps:

Your pictures aren't attached, but yes alkalinity is very important and you should be testing it probably more than anything else in an established reef tank. As far as testing it there are many brands of test kits, instant ocean, fast test, salifert, seachem, etc... they will have one at your LFS.

You can use Sodium Bicarbonate (Arm and Hammer Banking Soda) from walmart to raise the alkalinity to the correct levels. If buying a product makes you feel better your LFS will probably sell something called Reef Carbonate by SeaChem or a similar product.

Hope this helps and if you could get the pictures working that might help us better help you.

Brandon

I agree if everyting is dying that is not good. the 1st thing you need to do is test for
*amonia
*nitrite
*nitrate
*salinity
*alkalinity
*copper
*calcium
*Ph
*iodide/iodine

It sounds like a water quality problem, lighting maybe, stray voltages, sand bed problems, detritus problems, ect. hope something here helps. pics please and provide a description of your system, and maitenance procedures and how often, type of salt, make up water, water changes and how fresh salt water is prepared. provide more info and we will try to help.

Hey thanks so much for the reply..........I just joined and am less then computer sauvy, why didn't my pictures post

you need to upload them into the photo gallery first.

you can do this by clicking photo gallery up top.

Then click 'Upload' at the top of that page.

Follow the instructions on that page to upload from there.. I'll try to make a tutorial tonight that goes into more details.

Brandon

Back