This is sad...

HOWEVER - Disney/Pixar & Steve Jobs KNOW what happens when they produce these films (talk to any animal shelter about what happened when they released 101 Dalmations -a difficult dog to keep - and thousands ended up in shelters when parents who caved into the demands of their children got a dalmation puppy w/o researching the breed)...

Yep, and all the cute little bunnies that are bought at easter end up being dumped at the shelters when they turn into big rabbits. So sad.

Ultimately, it is the parents' responsibility and fault though. There has to be some sort of limit that is reached when it comes to corporations and the government having to "babysit" stupid people who watch movies like Borat and Talladega Nights and think that a bear or mountain lion would make a good pet. Buying a dalmation or clown fish after seeing the movie is less extreme, but the same idea. People in this society want, want, want and consume, consume, consume and don't let anything stand in the way of getting what they want. And unfortunately living animals are treated like any other commodity, instead of living creatures like they should be.

I personally look for aquacultured fish and will be looking for aquacultured corals when I begin stocking them. From what I have read, they tend to be better for captivity and I think are the more responsible way to go.

Awww that is so cute!!!

I have a hunch that pretty soon those guys are going to be making big bucks by focusing on re-introduction of their captive bred clowns back into the wild.

captive breed clowns will not survive in wild most likely because of immune system not same as wild clowns and lots of illness would kill em , and survival instincts alone will kill em, would be nice though if it would work.

Yep, and all the cute little bunnies that are bought at easter end up being dumped at the shelters when they turn into big rabbits. So sad.

Ultimately, it is the parents' responsibility and fault though. There has to be some sort of limit that is reached when it comes to corporations and the government having to "babysit" stupid people who watch movies like Borat and Talladega Nights and think that a bear or mountain lion would make a good pet. Buying a dalmation or clown fish after seeing the movie is less extreme, but the same idea. People in this society want, want, want and consume, consume, consume and don't let anything stand in the way of getting what they want. And unfortunately living animals are treated like any other commodity, instead of living creatures like they should be.

Your so right on biff. Its terrible the things people will do th get their way and the lack if research that goes into needing something RIGHT NOW. We can all just do our part as consumers and or parents. I know my next major tank build will mostly consist of aquacultured rock. I will buy some liverock for sure due to the large diversity of fauna and such found within real liverock that simply can't become so diverse over a 3-5 year period. But even when it comes to taking rock from the oceans I try to do my part and think before I act and explore alternatives.

Theres really no excuse to buy wild clowns anymore to begin with.And that also goes for the corals for the most part.Maricultured rock is a good alternative to real,reef collected live rock.
But even though we as hobbiest catch most of the blame for whats going on,on the reefs.We cant do a dang thing about the biggest problems.Look at the net dragging fishing boats.Look at how many fish,coral and inverts they kill every time that net drags across the reef.And those folks aint gonna stop untill the reef is completely destroyed.
Were just the cover up for the real problem.

Look at the net dragging fishing boats.Look at how many fish,coral and inverts they kill every time that net drags across the reef.And those folks aint gonna stop untill the reef is completely destroyed.
Were just the cover up for the real problem.

or how about that cruise ship the drops anchor and drages it a couple miles through the reef

If that were the only thing bad the cruise ships do - since NCL started Island-hopping cruises in the Hawaiian Islands a few years ago, the reef degredation on the reefs I frequent in Maui has been stunning - hair algae everywhere, decreased visibility, and huge fish population drops. Last month I went to Maui, and in what used to be known as "the aquarium" reef - with millions of young fish - almost no fish present. The ships can, and do, dump untreated sewage 3 miles offshore - http://www.kahea.org/cruiseships/)

Because humanity always has to learn things the hard way. We know what we're doing is wrong yet we still do it and only when its too late and all damage has been done, then we'll realize and change. But until then, we're not done damaging our only home planet.

Back