Time to go LED!!

Greenman

Reefing newb
Im trying to find a LED fixture for my 48" 55g. What length of fixture should i be looking for. Im assuming it will not be a 48" long fixture.

What is your price point? Most fixtures (at least the good ones) are fairly small and you would run 2 of them on that tank.

RapidLED! The DIY kits are pretty straightforward and the solderless kits are nice too. You would definitely save money going DIY.

I have a 6 Bulb 36" T5 HO i had on my 29 gallon. I now have a 55 (that is the same depth) but the bulb is like 6 inches short on both sides. I still have a ton of light and everything is growing fine but I was told that 6 inches on both sides will cause me problems (not sure how).

The only issue with the 6" on each side is that you obviously have less light on the ends of your tank. Not a big deal, really. You just need to place coral accordingly. I actually prefer having darker areas where I can place low light coral and sponges.

My advice, since you don't really have that much of a budget, is to keep what you have. I think you'll be happier with the HO T5's than you would be with a cheap led setup. Six 36" HO T5 is A LOT of light. Especially if you are running any ATI Blue+ bulbs. Those things are PAR monsters.

Back