tiny star fish

daugherty

part time reefer
My father-in-law has got hundreds of little white star fish in his tank they are all about the size of a pea i was just wondering if any one could give me a little info about them. only a couple can be see when the lights are on but when they go out the tank comes alive with them.

If they have six legs, they are probably asterina starfish, which are common. Some people say that they don't hurt anything, other people claim that they eat corals. Some species are predatory on corals, but the vast majority are harmless. Problem is, you can't tell the difference between the two types. If I ever found one in my tank, I'd remove it ASAP. It's not worth the risk. I've heard too many stories of people having tons of them in their tank, never hurting anything, then one day they find them munching and all of a sudden it's a big problem.

Asterinas have six legs but you will probably never know that.Most are missing limbs here and there.I have some and they haven't bother anything.Most are just film algae and detritus eaters.Getting them out will be a personal choice.

i have hundreds .... never did anyting bad. never touched a coral. now that i got a toadstool they all seem to have a lock on target on it and im constantly picking them off the coral and fighting them. bad part about them missing limbs is that once they get broken the pices can regenerate into more starfish. im assuming this is what your are referring to -
AsterinaAnomala.jpg

Back