Tips for refugium!!!!!!!!!

mennazeher04

Reefing newb
I bought a 2.5 gallon tank for like 10 bucks so i figured if i modified it alittle i could turn it into a refugium. Now before i modify the tank in any way i want to get some questions answered first. First of all is 2.5 gallon tank even big enough to support life of a refugium? The measurements of the tank are........12"x6"x8" (W X D X H). Second what would be the best way to plumb the refugium in to my sump? Third what is the best light setup for a refugium? Any help on this will help me along alot thanks.:^:

Personally,I think that small a fuge would be like farting in a wind storm.
Yeah,it'd support some chaeto and some pods,but I doubt it would hold enough to make much a difference on a 120.

You could definitely grow some macroalgae in there. You wouldn't be able to put any rock or sand in it though. As for the setup -- I'm a DIY idiot, so I know someone else will be a better person to answer that :)

Personally,I think that small a fuge would be like farting in a wind storm.
Yeah,it'd support some chaeto and some pods,but I doubt it would hold enough to make much a difference on a 120.

Yote, you are pretty damn funny and i love your reply....LOL. But what size refugium would you recommend for 120? Also since i already purchase 2.5 gallon what could i use it for? Any ideas? If you need dimensions on the 2.5 gallon its above. thanks again.

I'm not sure but I think the rule of thumb is at least approximately 1/3 of the size of the display tank. The bigger the better, to add to your total water volume. So you need around 40-50 sump.

I'm not sure but I think the rule of thumb is at least approximately 1/3 of the size of the display tank. The bigger the better, to add to your total water volume. So you need around 40-50 sump.

I already have 30 gal sump, so i was thinking possible a 10 gallon would be good. What your opinions on that? Also i think the 10 gallon might have to work cause that might be all i can fit....lol....forgot about that part.:D

Just put the 2.5g tank higher than your current sump. Drill a hole in it for a 1" bulkhead and put an overflow pipe to drain it back to the sump. Use a powerhead from the sump and pump water up to the refugium. When it hits the overflow bulkhead it will fall back to the sump.

Fill it up with about 4" of sand and slap some cheato in there.

Any CHEAP 20w light from the big box store will work. Get a POS clamp on light and set it to run when your tank lights are off.

Rc, how the hell do you make those illustrations, they are great! Very impressive!

On the 2.5 gallon refugium isn't it a bit small still? Even if a 5 gallon could be used it seems that would be more plausible, right? After all they're cheap and if your going to do the work....

i have read that a refugium, to be effective should be about 20% of you water volume
so a 120g tank= a 12g refugium

i just got done installing a 36g refugium for my 175

and like RC said pump out of your sump into the refugium
drill ahole in the refugium, install a bulkhead, and run pvc back into your sump by way of gravity

Rc, how the hell do you make those illustrations, they are great! Very impressive!

I just use microsoft paint. Doesn't take long to figure out how to use it. They are pretty crude, but it works.

I wish I knew how to use google Sketch Up. That program is REALLY nice for drawing 3 dimensional stuff.

That extra 2.5 gallons would make a big difference,to my way of thinking any how.
But I'd still hook it up the way Rcs got it sketched out.

I'm confused Yote. You said that the 2.5 would be farting in a windstorm. He then talked about a 10 gal fuge instead of the 2.5. Don't you mean that the extra 7.5 would make a difference if he goes with the 10 instead of the 2.5, or are you saying that the 2.5 is better than nothing?

I'm confused Yote. You said that the 2.5 would be farting in a windstorm. He then talked about a 10 gal fuge instead of the 2.5. Don't you mean that the extra 7.5 would make a difference if he goes with the 10 instead of the 2.5, or are you saying that the 2.5 is better than nothing?

Yeah,Yeah,yeah
So my math was off some :grumble:
The 10 gallon would be better,:D

Thanks guys and gals for all the info, 10 gallon it is for the fuge.......Now i was thinking when i get to that point of expertise can i use the 2.5 gallon as a frag tank? Just a thought cuz i cant return the 2.5 gallon tank cuz it was on clearance at petsmart so.......kinda trying to use to an advantage instead of a loss.

I think it would be difficult. Just too small to maintain water quality. How 'bout a betta tank! Or better yet a small hermit tank!:bounce:

Back