To get a BTA or not get a BTA?

avery155

Reefing newb
So I am feeling bad for my poor clown fish (true percs), which just swim up and down the corner of the tank, until my blue hippo swims across the tank and feels that the clowns are in his way.
Here are my options:
Move my hairy mushrooms across the tank to where the clowns sleep.

or get a BTA in hopes they will live in it.
My concern with the BTA is if it decides to take a walk, I have a rock of shrooms in one corner, and a rock of zoa's in the other corner which is close to where the clowns sleep. I do plan on getting more corals.

My lighting is a Aquatic Life 6 bulb T5 HO with IR. I have read various reports of BTA's living happily under T5's.
What is everyone's thoughts? I feel bad for my clowns getting chased out of their corner every so often.

So I would love to entertain everyone's thoughts, comments, concern's, ect

Your lighting is fine for a BTA. However they rarely do well in a tank that has been set up for less than a year. How long has the tank been set up? If you feel comfortable trying one, you can give it a shot, but there is still no guarantee the clowns will even pay attention to it.

+1 Biff.

BTW, if the BTA dies, you will have a poisoned tank for sure.
I have had clowns for 3 years without any anemone.
They don't NEED one in captivity.

Clowns will actually host anything....mine are in frogspawn and torch corals most of the time and have continued to lay eggs for the past year.

Personally,I'd either move the mushrooms or get something else for the clowns corner.But thats because I WOULD NOT trust an anemone in my reef.
I had a BTA that decided to take a stroll one night and killed nearly $1000 worth of SPS colonies one night.

I saw a pair of clowns hosting a Goniopora at my LFS, that is definitely on my list of corals I want now, it was a cool looking coral waving in the current plus it was cool watching the clowns host it

Back