To plumb or not to plumb...

Graffiti Reef

Reef-itti Artist
Hey guys, I wanted to get some opinions. Im saving up to buy a tank. I want to get a large tank and my budget restricts me to glass aquariums. I thought about buying a brand new one but after looking on craigslist, I could probably pick up a nice outfit but I wanted to know if you guys had the option, would you pick up a system that was plumbed or not plumbed. I only ask because if I get a unplumbed system, I wouldnt want to deal with plumbing it and would use one of those overflows that hang on the outside. Thanks! :mrgreen:

What you seem to be indicationg is "reef ready" vs. just an aquarium. I would get the reef ready, but you still need to do the plumbing. It would be hard to transport a fish tank without removing the plumbing at least a little.

What you seem to be indicationg is "reef ready" vs. just an aquarium. I would get the reef ready, but you still need to do the plumbing. It would be hard to transport a fish tank without removing the plumbing at least a little.

yeah like I just looked on craigslist for example and theres a few for sale that have the holes and hookups already drilled whereas I could pick up a new aquarium from petsmart without any work done to it.

I would think the tanks at PetSmart are fresh water. The reef ready ones have the overflow and room inside for the drains and return. You will still have to run the pipes and connect up the bulkhead fittings.

Back