To Use or Not To Use a SUMP SOCK That is the Question

phastroh

Do Not Listen To Me!!!
Ok so before I start I want to let it be known that I know that some use them and some don't and I would expect many different opinions.

I have looked on a few other sites and the most said thing was not to use them.

I have an Aqueon Proflex Sump. You can see the pix of it here https://www.livingreefs.com/pix-my-anemone-and-other-things-t33221.html

In the picture you can see the socks and then in the center is where my skimmer pump is and the skimmer sits in the last chamber with the return pump. I would just have it in the center period but I want my Chaeto and rock to sit under my Coralife Refugium light you see over the bag of Matrix/Di*Nitrifyer.

Notice how small the Chaeto is and it has stayed that size for 2 months, no growth with plenty of Nitrates I am sure.

So about the socks. I took them out this morning and opened the valve to my return pump. With them in I have to close the water return valve 40% closed. I always felt like the turnover was too little like this.

I never really knew how to calculate the return flow vs the intake except that I knew my bulkhead was 600GPH and my pump at full blast was 950GPH so I would have to have a valve to slow it down to keep my water level good in the return chamber as it would pump out more than it could get.

Well I sometimes don't change my socks enough in the sump and it can be 5 days. Whenever I take them out they are pretty discolored and mainly a yellow or dark yellow brown I should say.

So the reason I took them out is because I felt the water was not turning over fast enough and was causing my water to get unsuitable for the tanks inhabitants.

I also read that you don't need socks if you have a good skimmer. Now I know people don't care for the Coralife Skimmers but I have a 125 on my 80Gal and it works great from what I can tell.

I will say that even though the tank is 80 the sump is about 23 so that is 103 and the skimmer is not rated for double that for good measure but also there is 160 pounds of rock so the amounts of actually water is more like 70 or maybe even 65. Not sure as I filled it up then removed it as needed when I did the rock and didn't keep track. Wish I did.

So in the end I am trying to get an opinion if removing the sock and bumping the water flow would possible help my water conditions.

Some factors to think about.

No dirty socks being neglected
Higher water flow through the sump that I could see instantly.
Higher turnover of the main tanks water.

Thanks for your info.

Last edited:
I use them on and off and don't keep it in there for more than a week because they get really dirty. I have at least half a dozen so its easy to change them out and then wash the whole batch at once.
Mine don't really affect water flow.

I knew you were going to say that. It is because you had told me before that you use them. I was washing them with 1 to 10 bleach and water but then people on here just told me not to use bleach but old tank water and I don't really have any old tank water. I dump it when I change it.

Well they said bleach kills the bacteria I may be better off keeping.

I just notice that the water moving across the sump is faster when they are out and the water is more violent but it is still nice and calm and bubble free going back in the tank.

Maybe when I get home I will slap in new ones since I have 3 pairs that I rotate.

My biggest thing I guess is the water flo and if I had it too low and it was causing build ups and stuff. Plus I thought the sock should never have been in when I was cycling and that taking them out for a bit would help.

Here is the exact equipment and if anyone knows how to figure out my turnover and if a low turnover would contribute to bad water conditions and if high flo is better.

80 Gal Tank
23 Gal Sump
Coralife 125(pump is 500GPH)
3 Aqueon 1250GPH
Mag9.5 (was open 60% now it is about 80%)
Korillion Nano in 1st chamber of sump to keep it clean.

I find it's more important to have good flow IN the tank from powerheads and lower flow through the sump. Less chance for microbubbles, more chance for your fuge to suck up nutrients, more chance for your skimmer to work, etc. My tank is a 130 and my return pump is rated at 900gph. I personally don't want any more flow than that through the sump.

You can also get socks with a higher micron rating so more passes through, if the sock is blocking water flow.

Yeah I guess that sounds better that way.

I try to keep at least one powerhead pointing toward the top to keep the water rippling some. I had a small water tornado going on.

I have one that blows across the front and one that blows between the rocks and gets in back.

I can crank the valve shut and make it a real snail going back into the tank but man you would think it would come in as fast as it is leaving since the level is always the same in the tank.

I guess I notice the water level passing into the overflo raises slightly when I open the valve up like this morning and it howls a bit from the water.

What about having an air stone in the sump to oxgenate the water some because of the higher levels of bad stuff. I only have a small stone but a whisper 200 pump that I use to do water changes that pumps pretty fast and would probably put a lot of bubbles in the water.

I don't get any bubbles in the tank unless I am messing with the water level or make a mistake with the return pump and it gets a little air in it.

My tank only recently got diatoms and hair algae. The diatom come back a little but the hair algae has not.

My dry rock in the bottom back is still a little white while the rock in the front is covered with coralline.

The one pice at the top of the tank has yellow all over it with coralline. They all look totally different. Don't know what that means.

No air stones in sw. You'll just get microbubbles and I hear the tiny bubbles are bad for the fish's respiratory system.

Diatoms are a normal stage to go through.
Hair algae is a sign of excess nutrients so you'll want to figure that out.

The amount of light hitting different areas will effect coralline growth in those areas. And same for other colored algae.

Diatoms are a normal stage to go through.
In what way. Just during the cycle or just in general.

Hair algae is a sign of excess nutrients so you'll want to figure that out.
What would I be looking for since I don't add stuff to the water. Well not before it showed up.

You have hair algae because you have excess nutrients in the form of either waste or uneaten food.
And diatoms are a normal part of the cycle.

Hmm the only thing I think has gone uneaten is when the Anemones may barf up food and I don't see it and it floats somewhere. I got such good flo thing fly up in the air I didn't know where there.

I fed the Anemone 2 pieces of shrimp and 30 minutes later both came out together. I was like wth.

Then the other one right after ejected a piece then the other.

Don't know why it does that.

They have also done that with squid and I find it being jumped by the hermits.

My Green Emerald Crabs actually will eat a big piece down.

I will have to watch the food and only feed the anemones a small piece from now on and let them be hungry until I can figure out how much they will eat.

My filter feeders love a certain amount of particles in the water and they have grown and prospered becuase of the particles. Crystal clear water looks nice but does not help filter feeders. Take your pick.

Feed the Anemones once a week? Ok I never knew that or read that but I will start doing that. Less to do haha.

Today is Eel feeding time. It has been 3 days and he has only been spotted when the lights turn on.

It is funny it just pops up for a second looks around and goes back under the rock.

I saw it swimming around to just having fun for a little bit. It has showed my how many holes are in the rocks. I mean it goes in and out a hole I didn't know went through.

As I said before, be careful with the stability of the rocks. As it grows it will still try to fit through holes that will be too small for it. They are nothing but muscle. Mine could knock over basketball size rocks with ease.
Good luck feeding him!

How fast do they grow? I mean on average.

I plan to have a bigger tank one day and when I do I will be making my rock like I am building something.

I am not going to just throw it in the tank and stack it.

Also next time I will have almost completely dry rock. What a waste of money buying live rock seems now. I have to say I love the look of the TBS rock just would rather be able to take my time and make a solid foundation.

Back