Toadstool Damage!

DeanG13

Optometrist Reefer
Started about a week ago and has progressed as follows....

August 11th
IMG_3739.jpg

August 14th
IMG_3747.jpg

Today
IMG_3751.jpg

My parameters are stable, other than salinity which was low last week. I've been slowly raising the salinity over the past week and it's back up to where it should be but I can't imagine this was the result of low salinity.

Can anyone help out and ID what's going on with my poor coral?

Thanks!

Is the brown on the head and the specks of brown on the stalk progressing?It sure looks like it from the pictures.After blowing the brown stuff off does it appear that parts of the toady is melting,rotting?

I've seen fungal infections look very similar on other leathers.You may need to do iodine dip.

I agree with Reef and Biff. That's not shedding, it disintegrating. I would toss it out before it gets worse. If your not running any carbon you should start now. Leathers can release some nasty toxins.

Did you happen to have a temperature spike in your tank before or during the time that the leather started doing this? Last weekend, my fiance and I were replacing the sliding glass door in the room where my tank is, and because the room was open for so long, my tank got up to nearly 90 degrees. The next day my toadstool started looking like yours -- getting stringy, slimy and melting away. I ended up taking it out and throwing it away because it was clearly dying and making a gross mess. Luckily that's the only thing I lost...

The brown stuff seems almost scaley. Today the toadstool opened up (head and polyps) more than it had the past few days and the brown stuff seemed to be peeling and floating off, more likely resembling shedding. I didn't get a chance to take a pic but it definitely looks more healthy than any of the above pics.

Biff, I don't think there's been a very large change in temperature recently but I'll be sure to be more careful as to not have the same issue as you did.

The toadstool has shed before in the past, but never with this brown "encrustation".

Reeffreak, I don't think the brown spots on the trunk are progressing. What is involved in the iodine dip? If this was a fungal infection, do you think that would help?

Thanks for all the responses!

Reefreak, you were right. Upon closer observation the brown spots on the trunk are progressing! Here's a pic I snapped a few minutes ago.

IMG_3761.jpg

I'm debating tossing the leather since some people said the decay could release some harmful toxins. I just wanted to get some sort of conclusion about what you all thought; it's about split down the middle between those who have replied thinking it's just shedding, and those who think the toad stool has an infection/is decaying.

Please reply with your verdict;

1) TOSS
2) TREAT WITH LUGOL'S
3) KEEP AND ALLOW SHEDDING

I vote either Biff's Option 4 or Option 2. With the brown progressing, I don't think it's just shedding. However, I think you should try Lugol's (+ surgery) before simply tossing it. I think there's still hope...

Ok just completed the iodine dip. I followed the directions on the bottle for a coral dip and let it sit in there for 10 minutes. Hope this does the trick. If it's not looking any better, I may repeat in a few days. Keep you updated. Thanks for the suggestions.

Back