Too much flow???

Jimboaf

We can build it
Is there such thing as too much flow in a tank? I have a 55 gal standard and I have too 1300gph pumps in at either ends of my tank. The trun around rate is 2600gph in the tank total, would that be too much flow? I know people say they like to see at least 20 (totalgph/gals) well mine is at 47 lol I dont know if that is too much. I do have some soft coral in my tank and they seem to be doing fine, none of them close up or anything with the flow.

yes there is such thing as too much flow, i dont think ur quite there but watch out for softter corals as they can tear with too much flow. like hammers, frogspawns i would just make sure ur corals aren't tearing. and experiment with placement. hope this helps

Sps love a lot of flow but if ur doing mostly Lps and softies I would try n make sure the flow doesn't hit them directly.

If your sand isn't in suspension you don't have too much flow. I think you'll also find that as things grow out in your tank, your flow won't go as far as it used too.

If it makes you feel better, when I have my powerheads on at full power I'm pushing a flow rate of 8000 gph in my 180, which is a similar turnover rate

Thanks guys, before I had like no flow and I bought some powerheads off ebay and it was a choice between 800gph and 1300gph and the price was only $2 different so I thought that more flow was better. I am glad to see people using about the same amount of flow.

I used to have 1200 gph of flow in my 10 gallon tank. :rofl: Now THAT'S flow!

"Too much" depends on how your rocks are positioned relative to the powerheads, the kind of animals you have, etc. But I don't think that what you have is too much. (I had six 1500 gph (I think that's what they were) Koralias in my 90 gallon tank at one point, then removed two of them because I thought that was too much).

Back