Too much skimming?

cthegame

Reef enthusiast
Is there such a thing? I modded my old seaclone skimmer and now its producing a good half a cup of very dark skimmate every 2 days. It used to do that much in a week and a half.

I think the only possible way would be if you had a severely severely over sized skimmer on a small tank. I think your golden with your mod. Especially if you want to add more fish. Plus normal seaclone skimmers with no mods are not really a good skimmer. So I would say your good to go.

You would have to be pulling alot more skimmate then that to have anything to worry about. If it is thick and dark you are not over skimming. If it is very wet you are just wasting water IMO.

I removed the most inner cylinder and put a custom tube in instead making it much shorter and pushing it farther in to the bottom to disrupt the stupid vortex action. Then i modified the MJ1200 to take in air without the venturi action (so much higher flow and a lot more bubbles get in). Now it is skimming a ton with having the air flow at lowest setting. I looked up online for mods but this is my own way after playing around with it a hundred times to find the right length of the most inner tube. Took me all day to figure it out.

Last edited:
It's pretty much impossible to over skim. If you skim and do water changes, the "good stuff" that the skimmer pulls out will be replenished with the new water.

They do remove some trace elements but the benefit far outweighs the minor negative.Not a problem as long as you keep doing regular waterchanges.I suppose you could strip the water to much if it was a Bubblemaster or Bubble King not a Seaclone(even a modded One).

Back