Took ALL the Advice: Got QT..now tons of q's

bur01014

Reefing newb
Okay, so I had an outbreak of ich, but had no qt tank. I quickly took your advice, and got a 10 gallon tank. I filled it with DT tank water dropped fish in and dosed cupramine. I also got a heater, air stone, and Aqua Clear 20 HOB filter. Okay so here's my questions.

1. Dosed for cupramine (copper) as instructed and tested levels and seemed like there was barely .25 ppm...supposed to be around .6 ppm right? Colors are hard to match as well?

2. 6 weeks without fish in main tank to rid it of ich right? In mean time, waterchanges once a week still? What can I do to not lose the beneficial bacteria? Drop food in daily still? Corals and Inverts will be fine I assume?

3. Cupramine is supposed to be treated 14 days....after 14 days, do i just do water changes until I don't get any readings? Then continue feeding with garlic added to increase immune systems until 6 week period is up in main tank? This right?

4. Since my qt is all brand new, it isn't cycled, but this ich was an emergency. I threw an Aqua Clear sponge in my sump to seed it. How long? 2 weeks? Also I got this ammonia remover packet by aqua clear that goes in the filter. Is this safe and effective to use while medicating saltwater fish with copper? I will do my best to keep up with every other day water changes, but I was hoping this would provide a cushion?

5. Can I add corals to display tank during this 6 week fishless period? What if corals or inverts I add down the road have ick? I DON"T want ich again! What to do about this? I plan on qting all new fish I get for a month and treating with low dose copper to ensure fish will not bring ich again, but heard corals and inverts can bring ich....how do you add them safely? Also, I assume the ich will die on its own without fish even though I have snails, emeralds, hermits, and corals right?

I am sure there will be more questions! Sorry there is so much, just has been a nightmare and this outbreak in ich has almost made me want to give it all up. Thanks for all the help, hope my fish make it the next 6 weeks....guess the next 3-5 days will be the true sign....thanks all.

Last edited:
Okay, so I had an outbreak of ich, but had no qt tank. I quickly took your advice, and got a 10 gallon tank. I filled it with DT tank water dropped fish in and dosed cupramine. I also got a heater, air stone, and Aqua Clear 20 HOB filter. Okay so here's my questions.

1. Dosed for cupramine (copper) as instructed and tested levels and seemed like there was barely .25 ppm...supposed to be around .6 ppm right? Colors are hard to match as well?
Just raise it to level accordingly
2. 6 weeks without fish in main tank to rid it of ich right? In mean time, waterchanges once a week still? What can I do to not lose the beneficial bacteria? Drop food in daily still? Corals and Inverts will be fine I assume?
Still do water changes, no need to feed, corals and inverts should be ok. U can place food in tank once a week if you like...but don't really have to.
3. Cupramine is supposed to be treated 14 days....after 14 days, do i just do water changes until I don't get any readings? Then continue feeding with garlic added to increase immune systems until 6 week period is up in main tank? This right?
Correct
4. Since my qt is all brand new, it isn't cycled, but this ich was an emergency. I threw an Aqua Clear sponge in my sump to seed it. How long? 2 weeks? Also I got this ammonia remover packet by aqua clear that goes in the filter. Is this safe and effective to use while medicating saltwater fish with copper? I will do my best to keep up with every other day water changes, but I was hoping this would provide a cushion?
Sounds good.
5. Can I add corals to display tank during this 6 week fishless period? What if corals or inverts I add down the road have ick? I DON"T want ich again! What to do about this? I plan on qting all new fish I get for a month and treating with low dose copper to ensure fish will not bring ich again, but heard corals and inverts can bring ich....how do you add them safely? Also, I assume the ich will die on its own without fish even though I have snails, emeralds, hermits, and corals right?
Yes you can add corals and inverts, they cannot carry ich

I am sure there will be more questions! Sorry there is so much, just has been a nightmare and this outbreak in ich has almost made me want to give it all up. Thanks for all the help, hope my fish make it the next 6 weeks....guess the next 3-5 days will be the true sign....thanks all.

Good luck, and keep us updated!

Frozen foods may contain the Ich in its tomite or ‘free-swimming’ stage. When thawed they can reanimate. The ability of small crustaceans and parasites to reanimate is not at all uncommon. Freezing fish or fish food at minus 6 degrees Fahrenheit for 72 hours will kill parasites. Blood worms do not have marine ich.

This is interesting.Never heard that before.Could you show us the data that supports this?I would like to read it ,as i use many frozen foods for my fish.
Also a side note,you should never feed bloodworms to saltwater fish,they are a freshwater treat.

Hey bur - what did you use to measure the cupramine amounts?

I've had a hard time measuring with copper test kits, only getting a 0 reading that's why I ask. My LFS's have no idea either, which I find odd & frustrating.

San Francisco Bay Brand Freeze Dried Bloodworms

according to several places and companies bloodworms can be used for saltwater fish but it's not good as a primary food source becuase of it's low protien content.

yes you can feed it but just like brine shrimp they have no goo nutrition for saltwater fish they are missing many thing that salt fish need like omega3 fatty acids which no fresh water fish food has unless it has been gut fed. they are almost like you eating candy bars every day as your only food it will keep you alive but not very healthy

yes you can feed it but just like brine shrimp they have no goo nutrition for saltwater fish they are missing many thing that salt fish need like omega3 fatty acids which no fresh water fish food has unless it has been gut fed. they are almost like you eating candy bars every day as your only food it will keep you alive but not very healthy

That's why I wrote it shouldn't be a primary food source, if anything as a treat. But there's a difference between that and you should never feed them

Last edited:
yes it is ok to feed the fish. but just as a treat. i dont feed anything that is not for salt fish but i do have a varity of food that my fish do get when i decide to feed them

So if corals and inverts can carry ich, how do I qt them? I don't have good lighting on my qt tank for coral growth....may be dumb question, but can someone elaborate? Also, I can't treat corals with copper....

it is not proven that they can carry them. but if you want do iodine dips on all your corals and inverts there is nothing you can do.

That's why I wrote it shouldn't be a primary food source, if anything as a treat. But there's a difference between that and you should never feed them

I guess i'm saying,why bother then??I bet they would eat a potato chip or 2 also.
buro read the links,its all in there.He covers the question about lighting.

Back