Top 5 Sand Sifters

I like the topic. Thanks for posting.

I have Nass snails, but I was wondering what else I could put in to help.

Sand sifting goby?

Will be interested to hear what the top 5 are from seasoned people.

aside what people have said already , i would like to add watchman gobys

i had one that made my sand go from pale black to midnight black in a few days , loved it

I am with fast, nass and sand sifting star.. only problem with the star is make sure your tank is big enough to handle it..

My watchman moves so much sand its unbelievable, and annoying, you will just see piles of stuff, and because he loves lying out on my mushrooms, sand covers everything!!!

I'd say the fancy nassarius snails i had did a wonderful job. Also the sand sifting cucumber I had in the tank at the office where I use to work did a rather nice job as well. But I do have to give credit to the Gobies/Jaw fish they do an awesome job at sifting.

-Kurt
:Cheers::Cheers:

speaking of sand shifters.:question: I am looking for the right crew to put into my tank what would you guys recomend for a 225 gal with 120 lbs of sand. I do love the gobbies. Should I wait my sand is new (1 month old) I replaced the crushed coral just so I can have the gobbie.

speaking of sand shifters.:question: I am looking for the right crew to put into my tank what would you guys recomend for a 225 gal with 120 lbs of sand. I do love the gobbies. Should I wait my sand is new (1 month old) I replaced the crushed coral just so I can have the gobbie.

i would wait until your sand has enough life that the sifter will benefit from sifting it, right now they would just be sifting sand no food, you could supplement their food source for the time beign imo

some vets will prob chime in

I have a 220Gal with 160 Pounds of Fiji Pink.

I already had a 3" Sea Cucumber(it may be bigger) and the snails but since I added my Sleeper Banded Goby not only is the sand sifter he has made the sandscape incredible looking.

He isn't the most colorful Goby but he is the most badass looking. Reminds me and anyone who sees him of a dragon.

Ok I have a clean up crew and I have not had any problems with my tank being dirty. But I have a spot in my sand that is dirty. I dont know what I need to help with the cleaning the sand. I only have 2 dwarf blue hermit crabs and 2 scarlet red crabs. Do you think I need more crabs?

Hey Chuck,
Nassarius and Diamond Goby. I LOVE the goby. Yes he can make a mess, but i barely have to vacuum the sand on water changes as the snails and Tito the Goby (Lord of the Underworld, as we call him). WIth oolytic sugar sized sand, he can make a little mess, but with courser grain there is no problem. I will always have one of these! Cleans the sand of diatoms and fallen food, but will actively feed with the others.
6414821713_1708d2b507_b.jpg

Ok I have a clean up crew and I have not had any problems with my tank being dirty. But I have a spot in my sand that is dirty. I dont know what I need to help with the cleaning the sand. I only have 2 dwarf blue hermit crabs and 2 scarlet red crabs. Do you think I need more crabs?

You really dont need any more crabs, but you should get some snails in your CUC crew. I would get some nass, astraea, nerite and turbo snail (sp? on these guys)

I just got a striped sand sifting Goby the guy is a work horse would not quit... But yeah snails like Hannah and others have said do quite the job...

Watch it at around 2:30 or so and you will see the Goby I have working. All day every day this fool is doing this.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1O_PhaK8gM"]220 Gallon Reef Tank - YouTube[/ame]

PISTOL SHRIMP!

IDK about cleaning the sand but my Tiger Pistol Shrimp is a dang bulldozer! And hes good at his job. He literally makes mountians/trenches/holes everywhere >_<! he used to be paired with a watchman goby who passed, but the goby was always just pulling security while the shrimp workd =P

Back