toxic algae?

beano

habitual reefer
so i have been battling monster hair algae and asking my LFS guy lots of questions. he keeps saying i must have "toxic" algae. is it possible to have toxic algae? what would cause it? how can you get rid of "toxic" algae?

i have no cyano, just green hair
nitrates-0
SG 1.026
temp 78-81
lights- less and less all the time. 156w

If you have a reading 0 on nitrates and phosphates it doesn't mean that the ARE 0. They're reading 0 because the algae is consuming it as energy. Remove as much as you can by hand picking it out, scrub the rest with a toothbrush and then do water changes. Hair algae isn't toxic, your LFS guy is crazy. It can be conquered though. By taking the time and being patient you will prevail. Hair algae is relentlous, and so must you!

The only toxic algae I know of is dinoflaggents(sp?).They are what actually causes the red tides in the oceans.
+1 Sniffles on how to beat hair algae.

i thought it sounded a little nuts.

my lights are 4 months old.

i have been bushwhacking this stuff as well as i can twice a week. i notice i spread a lot of spores into the water colum, not nearly as much as i remove, but do you think that is contributing? if i use a toothbrush wont that just spread spores around? i do do water changes right after too.

oh yeah, and i only feed every other day.

Pick the stuff out by hand while you doing the water change.If you'll pinch the algae in the siphon hose,then it'll completely remove it from the tank.

"Toxic algae"
Just be sure they don't try to sell you some miracle cure!
Persistence is the only sure cure. As Adept said you must be relentless.

The only toxic algae I know of is dinoflaggents(sp?).They are what actually causes the red tides in the oceans.
+1 Sniffles on how to beat hair algae.

yes this alage sucks it is like a cross between cyano, hair and diatoms. and it sucks to try to get rid off.

Back