Transporting salt water

cgoodman381

can i put whtever i want?
Just looking for the best way to do it in your guys opinion. Cheapest way preferred =P Just standard water jugs? I have 3 G right now but I'm looking at doing something around 75 at least.

Edit*
or should i just not worry about it and just get the tank and rock moved and just make new water and let it cycle? its a 150g tank im picking up from about an hour away =\

Last edited:
Well you dont really need to transfer all of your water. You can do half old water and half new water. Buy one or two large trash cans with a lid and just take those.

It is really not good to use freshly mixed water immediately, amazingly some people do that though. If you take the several large trash cans as prevoiusly suggested, then add that water to tank as soon as possible and mix your new water it will be a lot better than mixing it in the tank or mixing it and immediately adding it to tht tank. After adding the mix to the water, drop a circulating pump in it and a heater and use them as long as possible before adding the water to the tank. Most salts are meant to be mixed up well a head of timee. Hours or days a head preferably. Make sure you check, and adjust, the pH, salinity and temperature of the new water before adding it to the tank.

Last edited:
how important is it to actully check the ph in the new water before doing a water change. what happens to the animals is it not the same ph?

It is really not good to use freshly mixed water immediately, amazingly some people do that though. If you take the several large trash cans as prevoiusly suggested, then add that water to tank as soon as possible and mix your new water it will be a lot better than mixing it in the tank or mixing it and immediately adding it to tht tank. After adding the mix to the water, drop a circulating pump in it and a heater and use them as long as possible before adding the water to the tank. Most salts are meant to be mixed up well a head of timee. Hours or days a head preferably. Make sure you check, and adjust, the pH, salinity and temperature of the new water before adding it to the tank.

So another question is, If I have properly mixed salt water how bad would it be for a set up tank to be drained of all its water and have completely new water in the tank?

umm it could be preatty bad. you are loseing alot of bactria. why do you wanna change all the water? if i were you and i need to do that big of a water change i would do 50% and then do another 50% in a day or so

I would use as much of the old water as possible, but 50% is just fine. I agree with what Fatman said, make up the remainder of the water ahead of time and have it ready to go.

I have 6 6-gallon water jugs that I bought in the camping section at Walmart that I used to use to transport water before I bought my RO unit. They worked just fine.

umm it could be preatty bad. you are loseing alot of bactria. why do you wanna change all the water? if i were you and i need to do that big of a water change i would do 50% and then do another 50% in a day or so

Well im picking up a tank and its going to be a complete pain to transport all of the water. Its going to be a pain to even transport 50%, i may have to settle for 20-30% and just let it cycle

So I was thinking if i did transfer the water in a trash can, what would the best way to pump it in the tank be? Then i remembered i have an extra pump laying around (700gph or so) so i filled a bucket to make sure it works and got myself soaked when i didnt notice the nozzle pointing at me. *sigh*

Hey, it happens to the best of us. NoobDeBiff tried to move the pump from the tank to the new water container without unplugging it first, and sprayed tank water everywhere.

One other small piece of advice. Before you put water in your trash cans to move, put bags in the trash cans and tie them closed after you fill the trash cans. Sloshing water at stop signs and during acceleartion likes to pop the tops off of trash cans. The bags keep the water in place even if the tops pop off or pop loose.

Back